From: Christopher Hylands
Subject: Re: Ousterhout and Tcl lost the plot with latest paper
In article <··········@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca> ········@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Prescod) writes:

   In article <·············@acm.org>, Thant Tessman  <·····@acm.org> wrote:
   >Chris Bitmead wrote:
   >
   >> [...]  Remember that Sun is pushing Tcl for some obscure reason, and
   >> Ousterhout is apparently working for Sun now,  [...]
   >
   > I've been told (by friends who follow this stuff more closely than
   > I do) that Sun has already lost control of Java to the Evil
   > Empire.  This might explain it.

   Sun is pushing Java more than ever. The reason for their interest
   in TCL seems to be this dichtomy between systems programming
   languages and scripting languages.
----

Seems to me that the combination of Java and Tcl is _very_ powerful.
My point is that you have your lunch and eat the other guy's too :-)

It seem like most Java GUIs are ugly as sin (misaligned entry boxes of
different lengths etc.).  Tk GUIs are easy to tune because you can
keep evaluating a proc until it looks right.  With Java, you usually
have to recompile and restart.  (SpecJava might help here, I don't know)

However, the numerical performance of Tcl is rather abysmal, whereas
if you do big numerical operations in Java, then you can see a good
performance increase.

John Reekie here at UC Berkeley has shown some promising results of
combining Itcl with Java so that you can have easy access to Java
objects from Itcl.  If anything, this seems to make testing Java
classes very easy.

I updated the tcljava0.4 interface to run with JDK1.1 under NT4
and it seems to be useful, check out:
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cxh/ptpub/tcljava.html

-Christopher
--
Christopher Hylands, Ptolemy Project Manager  University of California
···@eecs.berkeley.edu 			      US Mail: 558 Cory Hall #1770
From: Ioi Lam

:
: It seem like most Java GUIs are ugly as sin (misaligned entry boxes of
: different lengths etc.).  Tk GUIs are easy to tune because you can
: keep evaluating a proc until it looks right.  With Java, you usually
: have to recompile and restart.  (SpecJava might help here, I don't know)

Getting bored by the constant flamming? How about a little Jacl -- a
Tcl interpreter written in Java. Jacl is a perfect marriage between
Java and Tcl. When it's finished, it will have the ability to script
any arbitrary Java object using Tcl. See

     http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/ioi/Jacl

Jacl's admittedly lame motto is "Doodle once, script anywhere".

Comments? Feature requests? Please send mail to

     ···@cs.cornell.edu

-- Ioi Lam