From: Muhammad Isfendiyar
Subject: Chess in LISP
Does someone know a chess program written in LISP?
And where can I get the source codes of that program? Thanks in advance.

M. Isfendiyar
(cc the answer to ··@acm.org would be very appreciated)

From: David Hanley
Subject: Re: Chess in LISP
Muhammad Isfendiyar wrote:

> Does someone know a chess program written in LISP?
> And where can I get the source codes of that program? Thanks in advance.

	I wrote a chess program in ML once.  I would be curious
to see the lisp version.

	dave
From: Mark McConnell
Muhammad Isfendiyar wrote:

> Does someone know a chess program written in LISP?
> And where can I get the source codes of that program? Thanks in advance.
>
> M. Isfendiyar
> (cc the answer to ··@acm.org would be very appreciated)

A simple but complete chess program is given in Mark Watson,
"Common LISP Modules: Artificial Intelligence in the Era of
Neural Networks and Chaos Theory", Springer-Verlag, New York etc.,
1991.  ISBN 0-387-97614-0.  (Springer's number is 1-800-SPRINGE.)

According to the author, the program does an analysis of the
position according to certain basic rules.  It does not
include en passant capture (including that is given as
an exercise).  It searches 2 plies
deep (if I remember).  The author writes that the program seldom
makes moves that are positionally bad, but it easily succumbs
to tactical traps such as knight forks.