From: Andreas Bogk
Subject: Re: Lisp is alive, was "Re: Common LISP: The Next Generation"

    John> What if there was a standard native 3d library for Java?
    John> Better yet, what if it used something like QuickDraw 3D
    John> RAVE, so it could take advantage of hardware accelleration.

Why is it that everyone is ffoles by Sun into thinking Java and Java
bytecode are identical? There's a Scheme to JavaBC compiler. Why is it
that no one can imagine an universal bytecode, that is equally
suitable for all languages?

Andreas

--
... 31 seconds, and we're going ...

From: Steven L Jenkins
In article <···············@hertie.artcom.de>,
Andreas Bogk  <·······@artcom.de> wrote:

>    John> What if there was a standard native 3d library for Java?
>    John> Better yet, what if it used something like QuickDraw 3D
>    John> RAVE, so it could take advantage of hardware accelleration.
>
>Why is it that everyone is ffoles by Sun into thinking Java and Java
>bytecode are identical? There's a Scheme to JavaBC compiler. Why is it
>that no one can imagine an universal bytecode, that is equally
>suitable for all languages?

I believe that would be something like UNCOL? ;)
From: Eric Gouriou
Steven L Jenkins wrote:

> In article <···············@hertie.artcom.de>,
> Andreas Bogk  <·······@artcom.de> wrote:
> > >Why is it that everyone is ffoles by Sun into thinking Java and Java
> >bytecode are identical? There's a Scheme to JavaBC compiler. Why is it
> >that no one can imagine an universal bytecode, that is equally
> >suitable for all languages?
> I believe that would be something like UNCOL? ;)

 I believe that uncol was rather designed as an Intermediate
Representation
format for compilers. That is, it was not designed with direct
execution/interpretation
in mind. Check ANDF
(http://www.gr.osf.org/papers/gren_ri_andf_papers.html) for
a new attempt at an universal IR.

 Now for a universal bytecode, you should rather look at Omniware, a
product of
Colusa software that was bought in march by ... guess who... Microsoft!
(http://www.w3.org/pub/Conferences/WWW4/Papers/165/). Colusa software
still
had a web page a few days ago (http://www.colusa.com/) with only a press
release
from Microsoft but it seems to have disappeared.

 I don't know what Microsoft plans to do with this technology but I
would rather
use the Omniware virtual machine than Sun's java-biased one. Note that
the Gwydion
group at CMU was (is?) looking at Omniware to distribute
platform-neutral Dylan
programs. If Microsoft manages to release this VM without crippling it
with its
own technologies (COM/DCOM) it might kill the Java VM (but not Java or
the Java API)
and we would have a language-agnostic VM to play with.

 Eric

-- Eric Gouriou                 ········@cs.ucla.edu
--        http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~egouriou/
From: Cyber Surfer
In article <·············@cs.ucla.edu>
           ········@cs.ucla.edu "Eric Gouriou" writes:

>  Now for a universal bytecode, you should rather look at Omniware, a
> product of
> Colusa software that was bought in march by ... guess who... Microsoft!
> (http://www.w3.org/pub/Conferences/WWW4/Papers/165/). Colusa software
> still
> had a web page a few days ago (http://www.colusa.com/) with only a press
> release
> from Microsoft but it seems to have disappeared.

There's also Taos. See <URL:http://www/taos.co.uk> for details.
It's a distributed OS that uses 'VP' code.

I'd love it if there was a Scheme to VP compiler. Still, a Scheme
to C compiler should do just as well, for now. ;)
--
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/cybes/> You can never browse enough
Future generations are relying on us