From: Tim Olson
Subject: Re: Lisp is alive, was "Re: Common LISP: The Next Generation"
In article <············@wildcard.demon.co.uk>
············@wildcard.demon.co.uk (Cyber Surfer) writes:

> > If memory serves correctly, Gosling is the one after whom Gosling Emacs is
> > named.  That was rather LISP-based, was it not?
>
> I've no idea - I've only used Emacs very briefly, but I'm told it
> uses Lisp. So that would answer my question about whether or not
> these people know of Lisp.

It's my impression that the original Gosling EMACS was implemented in
TECO (Text Editor and COrrector) as a set of macros (EMACS stands for
Editor MACroS).

GNU EMACS, written by Richard Stallman, was the first to implement
EMACS on a "LISP substrate".

-- Tim Olson
Apple Computer, Inc.
(···@apple.com)
From: Erik Naggum
[Tim Olson]

|   It's my impression that the original Gosling EMACS was implemented in
|   TECO (Text Editor and COrrector) as a set of macros (EMACS stands for
|   Editor MACroS).
|
|   GNU EMACS, written by Richard Stallman, was the first to implement
|   EMACS on a "LISP substrate".

it's the other way around.  AI Memo 555 of 1981-10-02 is the Emacs Manual
for Twenex Users by Richard M. Stallman.  this is the TECO-based Emacs.  I
used it for a few years, myself, until they (the evil "they") retired the
DECsystem-20.  a few years later, I used a Gosling-derived Emacs on PRIME
systems.

#\Erik
--
those who do not know Lisp are doomed to reimplement it