From: Wolfgang Pohl
Subject: CMU Common Lisp on SGI - load-foreign?
Hello,

we implemented a research prototype using CMU Common Lisp on the
SPARC platform.  Now someone wants to run the system on an SGI.

I know that CMUCL is available for SGIs, but it is noted in the
CMUCL README that load-foreign has not been implemented for this
platform.

Before we are going to reinvent the wheel: Has anyone used load-foreign
on an SGI already (and is consequently the proud owner of a load-foreign
implementation on this platform ;-)?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pohl;  Univ. of Essen, Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science
guest at GMD FIT - German Natl. Research Cntr. for Information Technology
From: Mike McDonald
Subject: Re: CMU Common Lisp on SGI - load-foreign?
In article <··········@omega.gmd.de>,
	····@gmd.de (Wolfgang Pohl) writes:
> Hello,
>
> we implemented a research prototype using CMU Common Lisp on the
> SPARC platform.  Now someone wants to run the system on an SGI.
>
> I know that CMUCL is available for SGIs, but it is noted in the
> CMUCL README that load-foreign has not been implemented for this
> platform.
>
> Before we are going to reinvent the wheel: Has anyone used load-foreign
> on an SGI already (and is consequently the proud owner of a load-foreign
> implementation on this platform ;-)?
>
> Thanks,
> Wolfgang

  I've been trying to get it to work for the last year, off and
on. Inorder to get load-foreign to work, CMUCL has to be converted
from a static executable to a dynamicly linked one. (dlopen et al
aren't available for staticly link executables.) Unfortunately, I'm
getting a weird error during the final build process that I haven't
been able to track done. At this point, I know of no one who has a
version of CMUCL with load-foreign that works. And I am no longer
making estimates of when it might be done. Sorry.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@engr.sgi.com