From: Cullen J O'neill
Subject: CMU Common Lisp for Linux?
I'm not sure whether this is the proper newsgroup, but
does anyone know about a binary implementation of cmu clisp
(17f pref) for linux?  I'm taking an AI class that uses clisp
and would like to use something more full featured and/or up
to date than the version that I am currently using...

--
····@engin.umich.edu

From: Holger Schauer
Subject: Re: CMU Common Lisp for Linux?
In article <··········@srvr1.engin.umich.edu>, ····@red.engin.umich.edu (Cullen J O'neill) writes:
|> I'm not sure whether this is the proper newsgroup, but
|> does anyone know about a binary implementation of cmu clisp
|> (17f pref) for linux?  I'm taking an AI class that uses clisp
|> and would like to use something more full featured and/or up
|> to date than the version that I am currently using...

There has been a binary kit on the usual sunsite-mirror in the
incoming-directory for a short while after Peter VanEynde's announcement
on comp.os.linux.announce. It is gone now however, and I can't tell you
why. Take a look however at http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp/index.html
which is the home of the FreeBSD-port by Paul Werkowski (on which the
linux-port was based). The sources includes the stuff Peter did which -
if I understand the Compile-Howto right - does not mean that you can get
it running (because you need a working lisp to do compile lisp).
I can give you the email-address of both authors (it should be "porters" :-)
if you mail me (I guess they won't be too happy if everybody mails them
"Where is CMU for Linux, please ???" - better wait for a new release and
check Paul's web page).

Holger
--
holger_schauer :-
   mail_address(···············@gmd.de"),

(^:=  A donkey came to my office. It had a theory about people anaphora...
From: Daniel Poirot
On 10 Sep 1996 07:53:29 GMT, Holger Schauer <·······@zeus.gmd.de> wrote:
>In article <··········@srvr1.engin.umich.edu>, ····@red.engin.umich.edu (Cullen J O'neill) writes:
>|> I'm not sure whether this is the proper newsgroup, but
>|> does anyone know about a binary implementation of cmu clisp
>|> (17f pref) for linux?

>The sources includes the stuff Peter did which -
>if I understand the Compile-Howto right - does not mean that you can get
>it running (because you need a working lisp to do compile lisp).

While a dunting task, this is not impossible.

I snatched the binary from sunsite while it existed and was able to
compile Peter's current source.

I am having some trouble compiling the CLM Motif server - the reason
I wanted the source in the first place...  Something about missing
include files.

I would be interested in finding out if there is going to be a follow
on release for Linux.

--
Daniel Poirot           ·············@jsc.nasa.gov
Metrica/NASA-JSC        http://tommy.jsc.nasa.gov/~poirot
From: Mark Pedersen
In <·····················@crawl.jsc.nasa.gov> ······@pendragon.jsc.nasa.gov (Daniel Poirot) writes:

>I would be interested in finding out if there is going to be a follow
>on release for Linux.

Peter says he'll upload another version sometime after September 19.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Pedersen | email : ·····@cs.uq.oz.au | http://student.uq.edu.au/~s303080
"When freedom destroys order, the yearning for order will destroy freedom."
From: Holger Schauer
In article <·····················@crawl.jsc.nasa.gov>, ······@pendragon.jsc.nasa.gov (Daniel Poirot) writes:

|> >The sources includes the stuff Peter did which -
|> >if I understand the Compile-Howto right - does not mean that you can get
|> >it running (because you need a working lisp to do compile lisp).
|>
|> While a dunting task, this is not impossible.
|>
|> I snatched the binary from sunsite while it existed and was able to
|> compile Peter's current source.

I was talking about *not having the linux binaries* and compiling
CMUCL - which you can't.

|> I am having some trouble compiling the CLM Motif server - the reason
|> I wanted the source in the first place...  Something about missing
|> include files.

There is a file called motifd.gz on his site - maybe you need that ?
(I'm just guessing.)

Holger

From: Martin Cracauer
····@red.engin.umich.edu (Cullen J O'neill) writes:

>I'm not sure whether this is the proper newsgroup, but
>does anyone know about a binary implementation of cmu clisp
>(17f pref) for linux?  I'm taking an AI class that uses clisp
>and would like to use something more full featured and/or up
>to date than the version that I am currently using...

sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/devel/lang/Lisp
http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@wavehh.hanse.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer
From: Holger Schauer
In article <····················@wavehh.hanse.de>, ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:
|> ····@red.engin.umich.edu (Cullen J O'neill) writes:
|>
|> >I'm not sure whether this is the proper newsgroup, but
|> >does anyone know about a binary implementation of cmu clisp
|> >(17f pref) for linux?  I'm taking an AI class that uses clisp
|> >and would like to use something more full featured and/or up
|> >to date than the version that I am currently using...
|>
|> sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/devel/lang/Lisp

I just checked - it is not there.

|> http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp

Holger

From: Cullen J O'neill
Martin Cracauer (········@wavehh.hanse.de) wrote:
: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/devel/lang/Lisp

I had already checked at the standard sites and it's not there.

: http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp

I had already looked there.
There is a BSD Binary there, but no Linux.

This is a serious request made after having looked in all the usual places.

Any help is appreciated...

Cullen J O'Neill
--
····@engin.umich.edu
From: Martin Cracauer
····@red.engin.umich.edu (Cullen J O'neill) writes:

>Martin Cracauer (········@wavehh.hanse.de) wrote:
>: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/devel/lang/Lisp

>I had already checked at the standard sites and it's not there.

>: http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp

>I had already looked there.
>There is a BSD Binary there, but no Linux.

>This is a serious request made after having looked in all the usual places.

>Any help is appreciated...

I'm sorry, I just quoted from the announce in
comp.os.linux.announce. Obviously the Linux port is not really done.

Personally, as a BSD user, I'm happy with Paul's port and not involved
in porting activities of CMU CL to Linux. The existing and working
FreeBSD port should make a Linux port much easier that the initial x86
port. See Paul's CMUCL for FreeBSD page.

If someone is really interested in doing some work, please contact me
and I'll see if I could get you started. There's still a mailing list
for Linux porting activity and an archive of mails with good
information.

Or install FreeBSD, NetBSD, or OpenBSD, all run Paul's port and many
Linux apps (I'm *so* shameless :-). Then, spend the time you saved to
implement threads :-)

Anyway, it's late and I'm going to write *real* nonsense any moment
now. I'll try to get some real information on the Linux ghost port
later.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Gregory Harvey
I don't know about other linux sites, but ftp.cc.gatech.edu has binaries in
the Incoming dir, under /pub/linux.

Greg Harvey
·······@cs.mun.ca
From: Mark Pedersen
In <··········@srvr1.engin.umich.edu> ····@red.engin.umich.edu (Cullen J O'neill) writes:

>I'm not sure whether this is the proper newsgroup, but
>does anyone know about a binary implementation of cmu clisp
>(17f pref) for linux?  I'm taking an AI class that uses clisp
>and would like to use something more full featured and/or up
>to date than the version that I am currently using...

It was uploaded to sunsite but seems to have never appeared.

Chatting to the author of the port, I found he's going upload another
version (with some more bugs ironed out) sometime after September 19.

Be aware that CMUCL will chew lots of resources - 32Mb of RAM is preferable!

In the meantime, gcl2.2 might get you a bit further than clisp.