From: ······@nr.infi.net
Subject: Lisp compilers/books
I am a high school math teacher and I'm trying to start a course this
year on computer programming using Lisp, but all of the computer stores
I've called haven't had it.  Does anyone out there know where I can
find it?  (The computers we're using are IBM's).  If there is a copy
on the internet (at a university or whatever) that I could download
for free, that would be great.  But we have a budget, so I could pay
for it if not.

Also, I want to use a book called "The Little Lisper" (don't know
the author), but I've had trouble finding that, too.  Anyone
know where I could get this, or if not, a good substitute for this
book?  How about good C++ books for high schoolers just starting
programming?  (We'll be doing that later on in the year. Perhaps
sooner if I don't have any more luck with Lisp.)  I've seen a book
called "Programming Pearls" that looked pretty good, but I'd love
to get some feedback.

Thanks,
Todd

From: Alex McLachlan
Subject: Re: Lisp compilers/books
······@nr.infi.net wrote:

>... Also, I want to use a book called "The Little Lisper" (don't know
>the author), but I've had trouble finding that, too.  Anyone
>know where I could get this, or if not, a good substitute for this
>book?

"The Little LISPer" is now called "The Little Schemer". It is now in
4th edition, authors Daniel P Friedman and Matthias Felleisen. MIT Press.
There is also a more advanced book by the same authors and publishers
called "The Seasoned Schemer". FYI Scheme is a simplified dialect of
Lisp.
See http://www-mitpress.mit.edu:80/mitp/recent-books/comp/friip.html for
more info and downloadable s/w.

--
Alex McLachlan
Logica UK Ltd
From: William J. Rapaport
An excellent text for learning Common LISP on one's own is:

Stuart C. Shapiro,
_Common Lisp:  An Interactive Approach_,
Principles of Computer Science Series,
New York:  Computer Science Press/W. H. Freeman, 1992,
xxi + 358 pp.,
ISBN 0-7167-8218-9

As the title indicates, this is an interactive text excellent for
self-study.

William J. Rapaport
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy
Acting Director, Center for Cognitive Science

226 Bell Hall                  | phone:  (716) 645-3180 x 112
Department of Computer Science | fax:    (716) 645-3464
SUNY Buffalo                   | email:  ········@cs.buffalo.edu
Buffalo, NY 14260              | web:    http://www.cs.buffalo.edu
From: Your Name
······@nr.infi.net wrote:

> I am a high school math teacher and I'm trying to start a course this
> year on computer programming using Lisp, but all of the computer stores
> I've called haven't had it.  Does anyone out there know where I can
> find it?  (The computers we're using are IBM's).
[...]
> Also, I want to use a book called "The Little Lisper" (don't know
> the author), but I've had trouble finding that, too.
[...]

I'm delighted to see that someone is interested in teaching Lisp
in high school.  It's such a great language, and it allows
one to illustrate deeper concepts of computer science very well.

(1) There are some free Lisps out there, and some commercial ones.
For the PC, I don't know enough to give advice on their quality.
They are described in the Lisp FAQ, which is at

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html

(2) You will have to decide whether you want to teach Lisp or
Scheme.  Common Lisp is a great big (and great, and big) language.
Scheme is a dialect of Lisp; it's small and very clean, and in
some respects its syntax is more logical than that of Lisp.

For more on Scheme, see the newsgroup comp.lang.scheme, or its
FAQ at

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/scheme/top.html

The book _The Little Lisper_ (which is excellent--uses
"programmed instruction") is about Scheme, and in fact has now
been renamed _The Little Schemer_.

(3) A good textbook for Lisp is Winston and Horn, _Lisp_, Addison-
Wesley, 3rd ed. (or 2nd.)  Other readers of this group will have
other textbook preferences.

An excellent but demanding textbook based on Scheme is
Abelson and Sussman, _Structure and Interpretation of Computer
Programs_.

See the FAQs for more info on books.

(4) If you want to teach object-oriented programming, you can use
Lisp's extension called CLOS.  This is described in Winston and Horn,
3rd ed., among other places.  See also the group comp.lang.clos .

(5) See Marty Hall's pages at

http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html

for lots of info, including some excellent tutorials on the Web.
From: Andrew Sheppard
······@nr.infi.net wrote:

> I am a high school math teacher and I'm trying to start a course this
> year on computer programming using Lisp, but all of the computer stores
> I've called haven't had it.  Does anyone out there know where I can
> find it?  (The computers we're using are IBM's).  If there is a copy
> on the internet (at a university or whatever) that I could download
> for free, that would be great.  But we have a budget, so I could pay
> for it if not.
>
> Also, I want to use a book called "The Little Lisper" (don't know
> the author), but I've had trouble finding that, too.  Anyone
> know where I could get this, or if not, a good substitute for this
> book?  How about good C++ books for high schoolers just starting
> programming?  (We'll be doing that later on in the year. Perhaps
> sooner if I don't have any more luck with Lisp.)  I've seen a book
> called "Programming Pearls" that looked pretty good, but I'd love
> to get some feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

The Little LISPer by Daniel P. Friedman and Matthias Felleisen, 1987,
MIT Press, ISBN 0-262-56038-0
From: Charity Majors
: called "Programming Pearls" that looked pretty good, but I'd love

you might be thinking of "Programming Perl," a product of the most
excellent O'Reilly publishers.  i highly recommend this book, like every
other O'Reilly text i have seen.  it is moderately paced, full of clear
examples, and funny too.  :)  However for beginning programmers you might
want to start with their "Learning Perl," which is fairly powerful for
such a comprehensive starter.

charity

--
* ········@cs.uidaho.edu
* http://www.uidaho.edu/~majo9541
From: Ed Purcell
········@cs.uidaho.edu (Charity Majors) writes:

>: called "Programming Pearls" that looked pretty good, but I'd love

>you might be thinking of "Programming Perl," a product of the most
>excellent O'Reilly publishers.  i highly recommend this book, like every
>other O'Reilly text i have seen.  it is moderately paced, full of clear
>examples, and funny too.  :)  However for beginning programmers you might
>want to start with their "Learning Perl," which is fairly powerful for
>such a comprehensive starter.

I think the original poster was thinking of a book by Jon Bentley titled
"Programming Pearls," published by Prentice Hall.  "Programming Pearls"
is not an introductory programming textbook; it's a discussion of some
advanced programming topics (with accompanying code in PASCAL, I think).

The "Little LISPer" is a good introduction to LISP.

XLISP is a good shareware LISP system.
From: William Grosso
In <··········@newshound.csrv.uidaho.edu> ········@cs.uidaho.edu
(Charity Majors) writes:

>: called "Programming Pearls" that looked pretty good, but I'd love
>
>you might be thinking of "Programming Perl," a product of the most
>excellent O'Reilly publishers.

Or he might be thinking of "Programming Pearls" by Jon
Bentley. It's a book from the early 80s (1983 or 84) which
has almost certainly not gone out of print.

It's a classic of the clever-coding school (you won't
learn much about algorithms, design, or knowledge representation
from it. But you will see a lot of really clever tricks
that are quite nice in implementations).

Cheers,

Andy