From: Joe Phillps
Subject: GCL for OS/2 ??
I'm taking a course on AI this semester and we're going to use GCL (GNU
Common Lisp).

Is there a port of GCL to OS/2 or is there a way I can build it
(relatively painlessly) from the sources?

If there is not, I may consider porting but I'm trying to avoid this as
my main concern is studying for my courses and not porting some
software packages.

TIA

--
Joe Phillips
······@eng2.uconn.edu

From: Steve E Lumos
Subject: Re: GCL for OS/2 ??
Joe Phillps (······@eng2.uconn.edu) wrote:
: I'm taking a course on AI this semester and we're going to use GCL (GNU
: Common Lisp).

: Is there a port of GCL to OS/2 or is there a way I can build it
: (relatively painlessly) from the sources?

I wish.  If you find one, please let me know.

: If there is not, I may consider porting but I'm trying to avoid this as
: my main concern is studying for my courses and not porting some
: software packages.

You could always use some other Common Lisp for OS/2.  When I took AI,
I used AKCL under Unix, and Clisp for OS/2 at home.  I also used Emacs
with the cl package while working on individual functions.

Besides Clisp and Emacs, I know there is also a KCL for OS/2 (is there
an AKCL?), but it looked pretty painful to build.  You can get Clisp
by ftp to hobbes.nmsu.edu, the directory is probably /os2/unix.

As for actually porting GCL, it shouldn't be *too* hard.  KCL was
ported to OS/2, and I would guess that GCL has been massively cleaned
up.

Steve
--
Internet Advertisers: If you email it and I didn't ask for it, I boycott it.
I also boycott every company on the Blacklist of Internet Advertisers:
From: Bruno Haible
Joe Phillps <······@eng2.uconn.edu> wrote:

> Is there a port of GCL to OS/2 or is there a way I can build it
> (relatively painlessly) from the sources?

There has been a port of GCL to DOS, but - to my knowledge - not to OS/2.
Porting GCL is extremely difficult, even the port to Linux was very hairy.

May I just suggest that you use the OS/2 binaries of CLISP, which is
another Common Lisp implementation?
ftp://ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/os2/

Bruno Haible                                     email: <······@ilog.fr>
Software Engineer                                phone: +33-1-49083585
From: Jeff Dalton
In article <··········@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> ······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de (Bruno Haible) writes:
>Joe Phillps <······@eng2.uconn.edu> wrote:
>
>> Is there a port of GCL to OS/2 or is there a way I can build it
>> (relatively painlessly) from the sources?
>
>There has been a port of GCL to DOS, but - to my knowledge - not to OS/2.
>Porting GCL is extremely difficult, even the port to Linux was very hairy.

I have not found porting GCL or KCL/AKCL extremely difficult,
and I've ported (alone or with 1 or 2 others) to several different
systems.  Linux may have been very hairy, but Minix, 386BSD, NetBSD,
and FreeBSD were not.  I've also ported to a weird Gould Unix
where the port _was_ hairy, but only because of the segmented
architecture and the OS's reluctacne to let code be loaded at
run-time.

-- jd