From: Leonard R. Budney
Subject: CLOS for Win95
Perhaps someone can help me?

I am new to LISP--just having installed NT-EMACS, I've had to play with
eLISP, and am now reading Winston & Horn.

My question is, what is the easiest way to get going with LISP and CLOS on
a windows 95 box?  DOS command line is fine...

I've read the faq and can't find a small, free lisp implementation that
supports CLOS directly.  If I have to implement it myself with macros,
might I as well do that in eLISP?

Reflisp looks close, but I noticed that the demo programs define
"defclass" as a function, but W&H thinks that "defclass" is a common lisp
primitive.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Len.

From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: CLOS for Win95
········@newstand.syr.edu (Leonard R. Budney) writes:

> My question is, what is the easiest way to get going with LISP and CLOS on
> a windows 95 box?  DOS command line is fine...

Since you mention CLOS, it appears you want Common Lisp. Please see
<http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html> for download sites. The Web
version of Franz' Allegro CL/Windows seems to be the best free
alternative.
						- Marty
From: Bill St.Clair
Leonard R. Budney wrote:

> My question is, what is the easiest way to get going with LISP and CLOS on
> a windows 95 box?  DOS command line is fine...
>
> I've read the faq and can't find a small, free lisp implementation that
> supports CLOS directly.  If I have to implement it myself with macros,
> might I as well do that in eLISP?

Harlequin's FreeLisp may be a good start. It doesn't allow you to do
much
with the Window's GUI, and it is just an interpreter, but it has
CLOS, and I think it's a full Common Lisp.

  http://www.harlequin.com/freelisp/