From: Kirt Undercoffer
Subject: Pointers Appreciated (Semantic Nets)
Here's another C/C++ person working in Lisp again seeking pointers (sorta
pun intended).  I'm writing a kind of semantic net although it has
more structure than "traditional" semantic nets.  I can do this using
lists alone although the structure of the network I'm building suggests
using Lisp structures.  Will the use of structures seriously complicate
the program in the end (open question here)?  If I don't use structures
then I have to tag lists to indicate the type of thing I'm looking
at (i.e. this kind of semantic net is a bipartite graph and will.
*not* always follow type1 type2 pair structure).

Secondly, I'm having some difficulty creating a parser for my semantic
net notation. I'd like to not have to change the standard notation
too much so is there a repository of *simple* parsers floating around
somewhere (or is there a yacc for Lisp out there)?  I checked at CMU
and the parsers there seemed a little complex for me to extract useful
stuff from at the moment.  All I really need is a simple recursive
descent Lisp example parsing currently predefined characters ( ()[]: )
- so far it gags on these and I'd like to use them as symbols rather
than parse a string).

OTOH, I'm re-learning Lisp at an amazing rate although the code I'm
writing bears a suspicious resemblance to a more procedural
approach to the problem.

Kirt Undercoffer
········@osf1.gmu.edu