From: David Hanley
Subject: Re: Garbage Collection and Aging
It is interesting to see copy-on-read used to increase heap locality,
but, unless I am mistaken, isn't this what a copying gc will generally
do?  I.E. the nodes of a list, even if allocated distinctly, should be
copied into the same page, generally speaking.

	Dave
From: Michael Allen Latta
The advantage of copy on read is that the locality is based on USE not on
STRUCTURE.
The copying GC only copies objects based on the first reference to the
object it locates, not
based on the reference that is most often used.

In general though real performance requires that the application designer
be involved in the
locality issue.  This is the largest weakness of existing VM
implementations.
--
Michael Allen Latta
Hologic SYstems International