From: Jeff Addison
Subject: Using DirectX and virtual-io i-glasses with Lisp
Hi,
I am a student at BCIT in Vancouver, BC, Canada. We are developing a Virtual
Reality application in one of our projects. We are just learning LISP and are
using Allegro 3 for windows.

The project must be written in LISP. We have decided to use Microsoft's DirectX
as the graphics engine. We know it will be slow, but our focus is on the AI
part of the project, not the graphics.

Has anyone seen any sample code to link the DirectX API with LISP?

We are also using the virtual-io i-glasses with tracking for the headset.
We also need to get this working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Addison

--------------------------------------
E-mail: ········@smartt.com
Vancouver, BC, Canada
--------------------------------------

From: Robert P. Krajewski
In article <··········@ktk2.smartt.com>, ········@smartt.com (Jeff Addison)
wrote:

>Has anyone seen any sample code to link the DirectX API with LISP?

I know very little about the DirectX API or Allegro Lisp, but I do know
that it's COM (Common Object Model)-based. Allegro Lisp has to be able:

- to import some COM APIs directly (like CoCreateInstance, unless the Lisp
implementation has predefined wrappers for it)

- bind to COM objects, using MIDL source file or an OLE typelib, or maybe
even a C++ source file that uses DECLARE_INTERFACE_.

- Also, being able to import GUIDs for IIDs and class factory IDs would be nice

If the Lisp allows you to use COM, you can follow along with DirectX
examples for other languages and translate as needed.

I haven't kept up with Lisp for years (after working at LMI and Gold Hill);
I hope that Windows Lisps have COM support now...
From: Cyber Surfer
In article <······························@news.std.com>
           ···@world.std.com "Robert P. Krajewski" writes:

> I haven't kept up with Lisp for years (after working at LMI and Gold Hill);
> I hope that Windows Lisps have COM support now...

I hope so, too, as I'm looking for something that can do this.
DirectX would be just one of the reasons. While it may be possible
to add COM support to a Lisp that lacks it, having it provided
would be a major advantage for _any_ language implementation.
--
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/cybes/> You can never browse enough
Future generations are relying on us
From: Jim Veitch
Cyber Surfer wrote:

> In article <······························@news.std.com>
>            ···@world.std.com "Robert P. Krajewski" writes:
>
> > I haven't kept up with Lisp for years (after working at LMI and Gold Hill);
> > I hope that Windows Lisps have COM support now...

Allegro CL doesn't have this yet, but this is a very important keystone
to staying competitive.  We are working hard to enable this but it'll
take a while.

Jim Veitch.
From: Cyber Surfer
In article <·············@franz.com> ···@franz.com "Jim Veitch" writes:

> Allegro CL doesn't have this yet, but this is a very important keystone
> to staying competitive.  We are working hard to enable this but it'll
> take a while.

Excellent. I can easily believe that it's not easy to add this,
so I'll be patient. I have to wait anyway, since nobody else seems
to have a Lisp for Win32 with COM support - but perhaps I've just
not found such a product yet? Anyway...

Thanks.
From: Bruce Tobin
Jim Veitch wrote:

> Cyber Surfer wrote:
> > > I hope that Windows Lisps have COM support now...
>
> Allegro CL doesn't have this yet, but this is a very important keystone
> to staying competitive.  We are working hard to enable this but it'll
> take a while.
>
> Jim Veitch.

 I suspect that the easiest part of COM to
implement would be OLE automation client support.
I also suspect that this is the feature most in
demand.  Maybe an interim release could include
just this part?
From: Jim Veitch
Bruce Tobin wrote:

>  I suspect that the easiest part of COM to
> implement would be OLE automation client support.
> I also suspect that this is the feature most in
> demand.  Maybe an interim release could include
> just this part?

Unfortunately this is hard too.  It would be great to do an interim
release, but it'll take a while.

Jim.
From: Jeff Addison
> I hope that Windows Lisps have COM support now...
>
>Allegro CL doesn't have this yet, but this is a very important keystone
>to staying competitive.  We are working hard to enable this but it'll
>take a while.
>
>Jim Veitch.

I'm just learning Allegro CL now. Does this mean that it will not work with
DirectX? Or does it mean that it will just be harder to implement?

Thanks,
Jeff Addison

········@smartt.com
Vancouver, BC, Canada
From: Jim Veitch
Jeff Addison wrote:
> I'm just learning Allegro CL now. Does this mean that it will not work with
> DirectX? Or does it mean that it will just be harder to implement?

From a quick perusal of the WWW, DirectX appears to be a C function API
for games developers.  This should work fne with Allegro CL.  You will
nned to read the ACL foreign functions chapter to wrap the C DirectX
calls and make them accessible from Allegro CL, but this should be
fairly straightforward.  The biggest problem is that it'll take a while
if the DirectX API is big.

Jim.