From: Marc Battyani
Subject: Back to Lisp
Hi all,

I was a lisp fan in the 80's. then I had (saddly) to switch to C++.

I would like to use lisp again but I'm sure it has changed in 10 years.

Can you give me some good book references (or net sites with articles
etc...) to be up to date.

Also what lisp would you suggest for commercial applications.

Thank you
Marc Battyani.

From: Peter Lucas
Subject: Re: Back to Lisp
In <··························@p90> "Marc Battyani" <··········@compuserve;com> writes:

>I was a lisp fan in the 80's. then I had (saddly) to switch to C++.
>
>I would like to use lisp again but I'm sure it has changed in 10 years.
>
>Can you give me some good book references (or net sites with articles
>etc...) to be up to date.

The best book about Common Lisp is: Paul Graham, ANSI Common Lisp,
Prentice Hall, 1996.

There are other books that are also worth reading, e.g. Peter Norvig's
book, Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming, Morgan Kaufmann,
1992, but Graham's book is the only book that deals with most of the
issues a CL programmer should know. It also contains a very handy
annotated language summary. Norvig's book is more about building
tools, than about principles of Lisp programming (buy it, after
you bought the books by Graham and Steel).

In addition to Graham's book, you also need: G.L. Steel,
Common Lisp: the language, **2nd edition**, 1990. You need
Steel's book for the details on the language. (It would be
very nice if Steel produced a 3rd edition, describing the ANSI
standard, but Steel is probably too busy with his Java activities.)

>Also what lisp would you suggest for commercial applications.

We are using Allegro CL with CLIM for HP-UX and SUNOS. I am quite
satisfied with it, although it is a large system requiring 64 Mb
RAM for large applications. There is also a Win95 version of
ALC. You might download a demo version of it at Franz:
http://www.franz.com.

Peter
--
Peter Lucas
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
From: Marty Hall
·····@cs.ruu.nl (Peter Lucas) writes:

> In addition to Graham's book, you also need: G.L. Steel,
> Common Lisp: the language, **2nd edition**, 1990. You need
> Steel's book for the details on the language. (It would be
> very nice if Steel produced a 3rd edition, describing the ANSI
> standard, but Steel is probably too busy with his Java activities.)

The full text of CLtL/2 (Steele's 2nd edition) as well as the full
text of the ANSI spec (thanks to Kent Pittman and Harlequin) are
available online. See <http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html>.

					- Marty