From: Jason L. Asbahr
Subject: Re: LOGO As A Script Language
Hi!

> I'm developing a Java application which needs a scripting language, so
> the users can do things like macros and customize my app's behaviour.
> The Tcl/Tk scripting language is very popular and there are numerous
> implementations on which I could base a Java port.  Tcl/Tk does
> everything I need (control dialog boxes, However, I'm not excited about
> the syntax.

I know what you mean.  :-)  I am looking for a good scripting
language with a decent syntax that would be easy for kids to pick up
and start using, as well as being powerful enough for "real world"
scripting tasks.  Scheme/LISP fits the second requirement, but I
am less sure about it fitting the first.

> Now I'm wondering if LOGO would be a better match...?  Perhaps there's a
> LOGO intepretter that I can shoehorn into an application?  Has anyone
> written a GUI framework in LOGO before?

Well, Garrett (········@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU) hacked a version of XLISP
into Windows and Unix apps, pretty cool actually.  And as LOGO is a dialect
of LISP (according to the LOGO FAQ), this would hint at a way to proceed.
:-)

Also, the MSW Logo site (http://www.ultranet.com/~mills/logo.html) has
Source code in Borland C++ for Windows, perhaps this would also be a good
starting place....

> While I'm at it...  Would anyone here be interested in collaborating on
> a port of LOGO to Java?

Possibly.  Unfortunately, my work is not very Java-oriented right now,
but I would be interested in collaborating on the OO design portions
of the task, as well as a possible C++ implementation.  (I haven't
checked into the MSW Logo much, so I can't comment on it yet.  George?)

Thanks!

--
Jason Asbahr                    808 Sul Ross  Suite 7
Reactive Systems                Houston, Texas  77006
From: ·····@ultranet.com
I think it might be easier to start from Brian's sources
if you decide to do Java. I think you'll spend more time
ripping code than putting new code in if you use MswLogo
sources.

Someone has already done some Turtle graphics in Java.

One thing I have thought of doing was making the interpreter
a DLL, an OLE control (ActiveX) or a Netscape Plugin.
None of these would help the Non Windows platform users
however.

·····@fisher.psych.uh.edu (Jason L. Asbahr) wrote:

>Hi!

>> I'm developing a Java application which needs a scripting language, so
>> the users can do things like macros and customize my app's behaviour.
>> The Tcl/Tk scripting language is very popular and there are numerous
>> implementations on which I could base a Java port.  Tcl/Tk does
>> everything I need (control dialog boxes, However, I'm not excited about
>> the syntax.

>I know what you mean.  :-)  I am looking for a good scripting
>language with a decent syntax that would be easy for kids to pick up
>and start using, as well as being powerful enough for "real world"
>scripting tasks.  Scheme/LISP fits the second requirement, but I
>am less sure about it fitting the first.

>> Now I'm wondering if LOGO would be a better match...?  Perhaps there's a
>> LOGO intepretter that I can shoehorn into an application?  Has anyone
>> written a GUI framework in LOGO before?

>Well, Garrett (········@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU) hacked a version of XLISP
>into Windows and Unix apps, pretty cool actually.  And as LOGO is a dialect
>of LISP (according to the LOGO FAQ), this would hint at a way to proceed.
>:-)

>Also, the MSW Logo site (http://www.ultranet.com/~mills/logo.html) has
>Source code in Borland C++ for Windows, perhaps this would also be a good
>starting place....

>> While I'm at it...  Would anyone here be interested in collaborating on
>> a port of LOGO to Java?

>Possibly.  Unfortunately, my work is not very Java-oriented right now,
>but I would be interested in collaborating on the OO design portions
>of the task, as well as a possible C++ implementation.  (I haven't
>checked into the MSW Logo much, so I can't comment on it yet.  George?)

>Thanks!

>--
>Jason Asbahr                    808 Sul Ross  Suite 7
>Reactive Systems                Houston, Texas  77006
>·····@reactive.com              (713) 942-7937  voice

George Mills
email: ·····@ultranet.com
www: http://www.ultranet.com/~mills