From: ······@lectura.cs.arizona.edu
Subject: Breadth first algorithm
I am implementing an 8-puzzle problem with 3 functions:  displacement,
manhatten distance, and breadth first search.  I got the first two to
work but I don't understand how to get the third to work since the
first two return numbers but the third doesn't.  Please tell me if I
am doing it wrong or how to represent the breadth first search.  Thank
you.

From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: Breadth first algorithm
······@lectura.cs.arizona.edu writes:

> I am implementing an 8-puzzle problem with 3 functions:  displacement,
> manhatten distance, and breadth first search.  I got the first two to
> work but I don't understand how to get the third to work since the
> first two return numbers but the third doesn't.  Please tell me if I
> am doing it wrong or how to represent the breadth first search.  Thank
> you.

Assumedly the intent of the assignment is something like

"Implement solutions to  the 8-puzzle using:
  (A) A* search using the number of misplaced tiles as the heuristic
      evaluation function.
  (B) A* search using Manhattan Distance as the heuristic
      evaluation function.
  (C) Breadth-First Search."

Perhaps some other search than A* was intended for A and B, such as an
inadimissible best-first algorithm, or IDA*.

					- Marty

Lisp Resources: <http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html>