From: Nathan Sidwell
Subject: compiler warnings about undefined functions
Hi,
I'm using GNU's clisp implementation, and have now had
to split my code up into several files, which contain circular
function dependancies. (ie files foo.lsp and baz.lsp
both contain code which calls functions defined in the other file)
Now the compiler gives a list of functions used but not defined
when compiling a particular file. My problem is how to tell the
compiler that particular references are ok.

I tried a (declare (function other-func)) within the calling scope,
but that doesn't work.

Is there any way out of this, other than just having one big source
file?

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell                    The windy road is more interesting
Chameleon Architecture Group at SGS-Thomson, formerly Inmos

From: Vassili Bykov
Subject: Re: compiler warnings about undefined functions
In article <·············@pact.srf.ac.uk>
Nathan Sidwell <······@pact.srf.ac.uk> writes:

   Hi,
   I'm using GNU's clisp implementation, and have now had
   to split my code up into several files, which contain circular
   function dependancies. (ie files foo.lsp and baz.lsp
   both contain code which calls functions defined in the other file)
   Now the compiler gives a list of functions used but not defined
   when compiling a particular file. My problem is how to tell the
   compiler that particular references are ok.

   I tried a (declare (function other-func)) within the calling scope,
   but that doesn't work.

   Is there any way out of this, other than just having one big source
   file?

Read about WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT.

--Vassili
From: Howard R. Stearns
WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT is supposed to be the portable way to do this --
provided that the implementation takes advantage of it.  I do not know
whether GCL does this.