From: Steven Haeck
Subject: Hash tables
I have been thumbing through an old Sun Common Lisp reference guide
and have come across a section regarding hash tables.  I would be very
interested to learn how these are implemented (either in Sun's Common
Lisp or some other dialect).  I am particularly intrigued by the
sxhash <object> function and wish to find out exactly how arbitrary
objects are mapped to integers.  Further, I would like to know if it
is necessary for this facility to be implemented as a primitive in
lisp, or whether it would be possible to provide the same functionality
through a package written using alternative features.

Thanks in advance for any comments, pointers to reference material, or
direct answers....

--
Steven J Haeck

Office Tel. : 0131-650-6013       Email : ยทยทยท@dcs.ed.ac.uk