From: Dave Tenny
Subject: Lisp file manipulation tools available
I've often had a need for file manipulation tools written in lisp.
While I've written some, the remainding functionality I'm forced
to call out to other tools outside of lisp.  This is fine for the occasional
activity.   It's also useful since many external utilities have many features,
are very fast, etc.

But having utilities such as file compare and merge which are written
in lisp would be useful for those times when lisp is driving regression tests
and so forth.   Sometimes it is difficult to provide feedback to lisp from the
results of tools which execute externally to lisp.   Other utilities
such as uuencoding, uudecoding, MIME unpacking, and compression
would also be a good find.

I've been to the archives at CMU, but not recently. There were no file utilities
like diff/merge.  Anybody know of a lisp repository which contains file
utilities?
Dave Tenny
·····@games.ultranet.com

From: David B. Lamkins
Subject: Re: Lisp file manipulation tools available
In article <··········@decius.ultra.net>, ·····@games.ultranet.com (Dave
Tenny) wrote:

>I've often had a need for file manipulation tools written in lisp.
>While I've written some, the remainding functionality I'm forced
>to call out to other tools outside of lisp.  This is fine for the occasional
>activity.   It's also useful since many external utilities have many features,
>are very fast, etc.
>
>But having utilities such as file compare and merge which are written
>in lisp would be useful for those times when lisp is driving regression tests
>and so forth.   Sometimes it is difficult to provide feedback to lisp from the
>results of tools which execute externally to lisp.   Other utilities
>such as uuencoding, uudecoding, MIME unpacking, and compression
>would also be a good find.
>
>I've been to the archives at CMU, but not recently. There were no file
utilities
>like diff/merge.  Anybody know of a lisp repository which contains file
>utilities?
>Dave Tenny
>·····@games.ultranet.com

ftp://ftp.digitool.com/mcl/contrib/ has some file compare/merge code; some
written entirely in Lisp and some which shells out to the GNU utils.

--
Dave Lamkins, http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/
CPU Cycles: Use them now, or lose them forever...
From: Georg Bauer
Hi!

DT>I've been to the archives at CMU, but not recently. There were no file
DT>utilities
DT>like diff/merge.  Anybody know of a lisp repository which contains file
DT>utilities?

There is a source-compare (diff) package in the AI repository. And a
compress.

bye, Georg