From: Bob Krovetz
Subject: slow startup time with GCL
I'm trying to get GCL running properly on my PC (a 120MHz Pentium with 64MB
of memory). I initially tried using version 2.1, but I quickly ran out of
memory.  The documentation mentioned that MAXPAGE might have to be changed,
but I couldn't determine which header file needed to be modified (it wasn't
defined in 386-linux.h, or in bsd.h).  So, I tried switching to version 2.2,
and the 386-linux.h file in that version *did* define MAXPAGE.  I modified
it as specified:

#define MAXPAGE (1 << (PAGEWIDTH+14))

This increased the memory limit to 64MB, but the startup time went from
under a second with version 2.1 to over a minute with version 2.2.  I
did a `time' on the command, and this is the result:

time /usr/local/bin/gcl:
   0.890u 5.910s 1:38.75 6.8% 0+0k 0+0io 33324pf+6240w

Why is it doing so many page faults?  I asked Professor Schelter about it,
and he said that he didn't know what was wrong - that the startup time
for his version under Linux was about 1 second.  Can anyone tell me
what's going on?

Thanks,
Bob

·······@research.nj.nec.com