From: Reinhard Urban
Subject: CLtL2 as WinHelp?
Anyone saw the steele book converted to Windows help format?
I know only of the Latex and PS versions and I'm not sure if someone
already converted it to winhelp or if there's a good tex2rtf for winhelp
converter. Otherwise I would have to write such a perl.
Allegro users maybe?

--
 Reini Urban <······@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/~rurban/
 TU Graz, Fac. of Architecture and X-RAY Graz, Comp.Animation & Software

From: Cyber Surfer
Subject: Re: CLtL2 as WinHelp?
In article <··········@fstgal00.tu-graz.ac.at>
           ······@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at "Reinhard Urban" writes:

> Anyone saw the steele book converted to Windows help format?
> I know only of the Latex and PS versions and I'm not sure if someone
> already converted it to winhelp or if there's a good tex2rtf for winhelp
> converter. Otherwise I would have to write such a perl.
> Allegro users maybe?

As soon as MS switch to HTML for their help engine, I'll create
an "HLP" version of CLtL2. I've easily got more than 15 MB of docs
waiting for this treatment!

Meanwhile, there are commercial products already available that'll
give you this kind of functionality for HTML. RTF, too, and I'm
sure it could even be done with Postscript.

Otherwise, I'd recommend that you use the HTML version of CLtL2,
and a good browser. My personal choice is Netscape. While the
Windows Help engine may be faster, an HTML browser will likely
have better clipboard support. Windows help files are hypertext,
but "closed" documents, while a the pages in an HTML document can
be addressed by any other HTML pages accessible to your browser.
--
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/cybes/> You can never browse enough
Future generations are relying on us
From: Reini Urban
>As soon as MS switch to HTML for their help engine, I'll create
>an "HLP" version of CLtL2. I've easily got more than 15 MB of docs
>waiting for this treatment!
Come on!
Netscape is much too slow for Ctrl-F1 context sensitive help from within
the editor. Though its an open and ascii format, the winhelp format is
specialized for FAST access (and the indexing and full-text search is
automatic, not as poor as with any HTML indexer or glimpse)

>Meanwhile, there are commercial products already available that'll
>give you this kind of functionality for HTML. RTF, too, and I'm
>sure it could even be done with Postscript.
I want it free.

I already wrote some perl converters from ascii or other hypertext
formats to winhelp aware RTF.
eg. pod2rtf.pl or aci2rtf.pl but I didnt want to rewrite tex2rtf.pl for
winhelp awareness. the other tex2rtf converters dont link the tags so
that winhelp accepts it.

And I'm really angry that the ntperl from hip comm. published their perl
extensions in HTML and not in POD format which can be automatically
converted to all the other formats (tex, man, ascii, rtf, html, ...)

Sorry, completely off topic now, thats the lisp group!
I should have written the converters in lisp of course :-)
---
Reini Urban, TU Graz, Architecture & X-RAY
<······@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/
From: Bruce Tobin
Reinhard Urban wrote:

> Anyone saw the steele book converted to Windows
> help format?

 You could convert the HTML version to HLP with:

ftp://papa.indstate.edu/winsock-l/WWW-Browsers/Web_
Utils/htmlp20d.zip
From: Reini Urban
Bruce Tobin <······@iwaynet.net> wrote:
> You could convert the HTML version to HLP with:
>ftp://papa.indstate.edu/winsock-l/WWW-Browsers/Web_Utils/htmlp20d.zip
Thanks, but this version is limited up to 5 html pages.
I'll better try out tex2rtf by Julian Smart.
  http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~jacs/tex2rtf.html
This seems to be the best converter and comes with sources.
---