From: Chris Jones
Subject: functional database programming?
I've recently started working on a UniData-based database system, and
I'm getting fed up with the fact that the underlying code is written
in UniBasic.  For curiosity's sake, does anybody know if there exists
such a beast as a database which uses a functional language (lisp
comes to mind) for programming?

TIA.

Chris
Chris Jones                                      ······@rupert.oscs.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...
From: Bruce Tobin
Subject: Re: functional database programming?
Chris Jones wrote:

> I've recently started working on a UniData-based database system,
> and
> I'm getting fed up with the fact that the underlying code is
> written
> in UniBasic.

>  For curiosity's sake, does anybody know if there exists
> such a beast as a database which uses a functional language (lisp
> comes to mind) for programming?

 Do you mean a dbms implemented in Lisp (Itasca from Ibex
Corporation is one) or a dbms which uses Lisp (or a lisp-like
language) for DDL and DML?  Franz has a lisp layer over ODBC
that might do what you want; a number of vendors (Harlequin and
Franz, e.g.) offer a lisp interface to various OODBMS systems.

The Common Lisp Business Toolkit, when finished, will be a Lisp
library for creating, manipulating, viewing and reporting on
relational data. See the lisp-team web site:

  http://claretech.com/~tobinbs/lispteam.html