From: Conrad Taylor
Subject: Lisp to C Translator ...?
How are you doing?  I was wondering, could anyone direct to references
on where I can find a lisp to C/C++ translator?

Thanks in advance,

--
o          '''           Conrad Taylor                      o
o         (o o)          Software Engineer                  o

From: Will Ware
Subject: Re: Lisp to C Translator ...?
Conrad Taylor (·······@comm.mot.com) wrote:
: How are you doing?  I was wondering, could anyone direct to references
: on where I can find a lisp to C/C++ translator?

There are a couple of programs called Hobbit and Rabbit that do something
like this, I think. I believe these are specifically for the Scheme dialect
of Lisp. A good place to start hunting might be the SCM home page, at

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/scm.html

There's also a Scheme repository discussed in the FAQ, at CMU, I think.
Will Ware <·····@world.std.com> web <http://world.std.com/~wware/>
PGP fingerprint   45A8 722C D149 10CC   F0CF 48FB 93BF 7289
From: Wayne J. Rasmussen
Conrad Taylor (·······@comm.mot.com) wrote:
: How are you doing?  I was wondering, could anyone direct to references
: on where I can find a lisp to C/C++ translator?

: Thanks in advance,

How do those lambda expressions translate into c?

wayne
From: Harley Davis
In article <·············@netcom.com> ···@netcom.com (Wayne J. Rasmussen) writes:

> Conrad Taylor (·······@comm.mot.com) wrote:
> : How are you doing?  I was wondering, could anyone direct to references
> : on where I can find a lisp to C/C++ translator?
>
> : Thanks in advance,
>
> How do those lambda expressions translate into c?

I don't know how other Lisp-to-C translators work, but I can tell you
how Ilog Talk's compiler does it.  For every lambda, we create a named
C function.  The first argument to this function is an environment
object, other arguments are regular Lisp objects.  Free variable
references in the lambda expression are compiled into references into
the environment object.  When a lambda is created in a program, it
creates a function object which has two fields: An environment object
and the code address of the corresponding C function.  The environment
object is basically a vector which is created and filled in with the
correct variable cells. When the function is called, the environment
object is passed to the function.

There are some other subleties relating to various optimizations and
special cases like sharing non-constant bindings between functions,
but this is the basic scheme.

For more information about Ilog Talk, check out our Web site at
<URL:http://www.ilog.com/> or send email to Pierre Parquier, the Ilog
Talk project manager, at ········@ilog.fr.

-- Harley Davis
--

---------------------*** New address ***----------------------------
Harley Davis                            net: ·····@ilog.com
From: David James Hanley
Conrad Taylor (·······@comm.mot.com) wrote:
: How are you doing?  I was wondering, could anyone direct to references
: on where I can find a lisp to C/C++ translator?

	Sure con, do a search for 'bigloo.'  It's free, and it's pretty
good.  In installed it on our HP machines with no problems, which is
more than I can say for a lot of packages.

David Hanley,                 |______     Computer Science graduate student.
·······@lac.eecs.uic.edu      |\ ___/__  Martial Artist. Biker. Chess Freak
www_lac.eecs.uic.edu/~dhanley/| \\ /  / Libertarian.  Atheist.  Bisexual.
My employer barely KNOWS me.  |  \/BI/ Aspiring novelist.Joyce Kafka Neitzsche
YOU came to US seeking illumination, Crowley answered.  You are still
receiving it.  Did you imagine that truth was a dog that would come to
you when you whistled?