From: Clifford D Platt
Subject: Lucid LISP --> Allegro LISP
I have a general question about porting software written to deal with
network communications and with Lucid LISP and converting it over to Allegro
LISP.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and could
possibly help me out a bit.  I'm not sure in which package the networking
commands lie.  Will this be a difficult transition and if so are there any
helpful pointers out there for me?

                                            Cliff
From: Paul McNamee
Subject: Re: Lucid LISP --> Allegro LISP
In article <··················@andrew.cmu.edu>,
Clifford D Platt  <·····@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>I have a general question about porting software written to deal with
>network communications and with Lucid LISP and converting it over to Allegro
>LISP.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and could
>possibly help me out a bit.  I'm not sure in which package the networking
>commands lie.  Will this be a difficult transition and if so are there any
>helpful pointers out there for me?

I did the same thing about 6 months ago.  Our application used LCL's
foreign function interface to pass data using the C/UNIX socket
libraries.  Transforming 500-1000 Lines of Code took me 1 day to learn
Allegro's FFI, < 1 day to "port" the code, and 1 day to debug my port.
I call that pretty reasonable for a language extension.

The simplest way to get your code running might be to use the
compatibility package Franz offers (http://www.franz.com/migrate.html).
However, I recommend simply changing the code since most of the work
is just textually replacing (def-foriegn-function ...) to (defforeign
...) and so on.

Paul McNamee
············@jhuapl.edu