From: Kjetil Valstadsve
Subject: Re: Lisp-to-JavaVM compiler
In article <·················@best.best.com> ···@best.com (.) writes:

   Is anybody actively working on a Lisp-to-JavaVM compiler?  I have
   heard several rumors, but nobody has been willing to step forward.

Could it be because of the commercial implications?

--
              My music isn't modern, it's merely badly played
                            - Arnold Schoenberg

·················@pvv.unit.no IRC Kjetil URL http://www.pvv.unit.no/~eddie

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <···············@voldsboks.pvv.unit.no>, ·····@pvv.unit.no
(Kjetil Valstadsve) wrote:

> In article <·················@best.best.com> ···@best.com (.) writes:
>
>    Is anybody actively working on a Lisp-to-JavaVM compiler?  I have
>    heard several rumors, but nobody has been willing to step forward.
>
> Could it be because of the commercial implications?
>
> --
>               My music isn't modern, it's merely badly played
>                             - Arnold Schoenberg
>
> ·················@pvv.unit.no IRC Kjetil URL http://www.pvv.unit.no/~eddie

At the "Dynamic Objects Event" (Object World 96 in Boston) there
was a talk by Olin Shivers. He talked about the problems of running
Lisp-like languages on the Java VM. Seems like there is a serios
performance penalty.

This is the reason why the Java VM will fail (IMHO). It has been designed
for running Java and not as a general purpose VM, that could for
example effectively run Smalltalk, Scheme or Common Lisp. People
will want to run more than Java (and other languages that do map
to the Java VM). SUN again tries to set standards (News, OpenLook, ...).
We will have to see after the hype is over, if the industry really
will adopt these technologies - technologies that only support SUN�s
ideas.

SUN would have to modify the VM (data representations, some new
instructions or a way to add new instructions, ...). Will they do it?
I won�t wait for that. Right now they are busy implementing the VM
in silicon.

Rainer Joswig
From: Patrick Logan
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> > In article <·················@best.best.com> ···@best.com (.) writes:
> >
> >    Is anybody actively working on a Lisp-to-JavaVM compiler?  I have
> >    heard several rumors, but nobody has been willing to step forward.
> At the "Dynamic Objects Event" (Object World 96 in Boston) there
> was a talk by Olin Shivers. He talked about the problems of running
> Lisp-like languages on the Java VM. Seems like there is a serios
> performance penalty.

It seems to me the better choice would be to implement the Java VM
within a Scheme system. Then Java applets/applications could be
executed as well as Scheme in a more efficient manner.

The Java VM may be frozen, who knows? (I have read they want to be
able to execute Scheme, Smalltalk, etc.) But even if it is frozen,
it can be embedded within something better. (Or worse. ;^)

--
···············@ccm.hf.intel.com

"Moore's Law has come to refer to almost anything
related to the semiconductor industry that when
plotted on semilog paper approximates a straight line."
-Gordon Moore