From: Timothy Yi
Subject: defclass & defmethod (in common lisp)
We've gotten a source code from someone, and it was written in lisp.
It used (defclass ...) and (defmethod ..) which was not in my common
lisp manual.  My best guess is (defstruct ..) and (defmacro ..)

If anyone out there know what lisp used (defclass) and (defmethod),
it will be great help for me to modify for our compiler
sun/lucid common lisp.  Thanks in advance.

-Tim Yi
div. of stat (····@Virginia.EDU)
wahoo since 1991

From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: defclass & defmethod (in common lisp)
In article <·········@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>
····@wald.stat.Virginia.EDU (Timothy Yi) writes:
>We've gotten a source code from someone, and it was written in lisp.
>It used (defclass ...) and (defmethod ..) which was not in my common
>lisp manual.  My best guess is (defstruct ..) and (defmacro ..)

You have an outdated manual. Hopefully your version of Lucid CL is
less than 5 or 6 years old and already includes CLOS. If not, you
could install a free version, but might be better off just getting a
free CL that already bundles it, unless of course you want to pay to
get the latest version of Lucid from Harlequin Inc.

My Lisp Tutorial page at http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html
has a CLOS section with overviews specifically on defclass and
defmethod, as well as pointers to the Steele and draft ANSI standards
which have much more detail.
						- Marty
(proclaim '(inline skates))
From: Donald Fisk
Timothy Yi (····@wald.stat.Virginia.EDU) wrote:
: We've gotten a source code from someone, and it was written in lisp.
: It used (defclass ...) and (defmethod ..) which was not in my common
: lisp manual.  My best guess is (defstruct ..) and (defmacro ..)

: If anyone out there know what lisp used (defclass) and (defmethod),
: it will be great help for me to modify for our compiler
: sun/lucid common lisp.  Thanks in advance.

You must have a very old version of Common Lisp.   defclass defines
CLOS (Common Lisp Object System) classes, and defmethod defines CLOS
methods.   CLOS is covered in CLTL2, Chapter 28, by Guy Steele.

If you have to translate the code into a
Lisp which doesn't support CLOS, use whatever Object Oriented extension
it has (it may be Flavors, for example) instead.

: -Tim Yi
: div. of stat (····@Virginia.EDU)
                ^^^^ as in David?
: wahoo since 1991

--
Le Hibou (mo bheachd fhe/in:my own opinion) Email: ······@info.bt.co.uk
"[British] lager is an imitation continental beer drunk only by refined
From: Dac-Trung Nguyen
Timothy Yi wrote:

> We've gotten a source code from someone, and it was written in lisp.
> It used (defclass ...) and (defmethod ..) which was not in my common
> lisp manual.  My best guess is (defstruct ..) and (defmacro ..)
>
> If anyone out there know what lisp used (defclass) and (defmethod),
> it will be great help for me to modify for our compiler
> sun/lucid common lisp.  Thanks in advance.
>
> -Tim Yi
> div. of stat (····@Virginia.EDU)
> wahoo since 1991

If your common lisp does not support CLOS, you might want to download
Closette, a subset implementation of CLOS describes in "The Art of The
Metaobject Protocol" from ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/pcl/mop.

-dt nguyen