From: Ben Mackenzie Edmondson
Subject: Need ugly lisp code!
Hello,
	I was wondering if some of you lisp experts could send me their
favourite bit of ugly looking lisp code. I am doing a seminar and want to talk
about how hard lisp is to read. I have some prettyhorrible examples but I need
some real shockers. So if you send me something with lots of parentheses
(should be pretty easy) I would be much obliged.
				-Ben

From: Richard Pitre
Subject: Re: Need ugly lisp code!
In article <··········@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> ·····@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au (Ben
Mackenzie Edmondson) writes:
> Hello,
> 	I was wondering if some of you lisp experts could send me their
> favourite bit of ugly looking lisp code. I am doing a seminar and want to
talk
> about how hard lisp is to read. I have some prettyhorrible examples but I
need
> some real shockers. So if you send me something with lots of parentheses
> (should be pretty easy) I would be much obliged.
> 				-Ben

If you want to get some ugly code then make it a contest among your students.
You could have, ugliest in language category and an all around UDA (uglier than
the devils asshole) award. You could score the code by the number of people who
guessed the meaning incorrectly.

richard
From: Peter Ward
Why restrict yourself to LISP parentheses. Why not try
C++, then you can have [ ] { } < > ! % ^ & * ~ : ; �
and cryptic combinations thereof?

----------
Peter Ward
From: Marty Hall
In article <··········@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au>
·····@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au (Ben Mackenzie Edmondson) writes:

>	I was wondering if some of you lisp experts could send me their
>favourite bit of ugly looking lisp code. I am doing a seminar and want to talk
>about how hard lisp is to read. I have some prettyhorrible examples but I need
>some real shockers. So if you send me something with lots of parentheses
>(should be pretty easy) I would be much obliged.

You can make up arbitrarily nested examples yourself just using the
"*" and "+" operators.

Note, however, that Lisp programmers don't look at the parens at all
when they read Lisp code. They look at the indentation (which
indicates nesting level) and ignore the parens altogether. When they
write Lisp code, they use vi or emacs or any editor that automatically
balances the parens; they never, never count parens. Both of those
editors and almost all other editors a Lisp programmer would use also
can automatically indent for you.

For instance, a Lisp programmer can read

Foo
  Bar A B
  Baz C
      Fubar D
  Boo E F

just as easily as

(Foo
  (Bar A B)
  (Baz C
       (Fubar D))
  (Boo E F))

The point is the nesting level (indicated by the indentation), not the
parens. There are many serious pros and cons in using Lisp. But nobody
who has gotten even a tiny knowledgeable introduction to Lisp
considers the parens to be one of those issues. I've been teaching
students AI and AI Programming for 8 years or so, and I get people who
love Lisp and who hate Lisp. But for none of them is the parens the
issue. (Hmm, I hope I am not naively responding to deliberate
trolling).

						- Marty
(proclaim '(inline skates))
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ·····@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au (Ben Mackenzie Edmondson)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: 19 Mar 1996 10:11:34 +1100

   Hello,
	   I was wondering if some of you lisp experts could send me their
   favourite bit of ugly looking lisp code. I am doing a seminar and want to talk
   about how hard lisp is to read. I have some prettyhorrible examples but I need
   some real shockers. So if you send me something with lots of parentheses
   (should be pretty easy) I would be much obliged.
				   -Ben

I think the best source of these sort of things is the "Obfuscated C
Contest". :)

....Yes! I read the post. :)

--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano