From: Jack Harper
Subject: IBM 360/Lisp
I am building a web page regarding, primarily, the technical history of
the early days of Lisp -- 1958 or so -> 1970 or so. One of the things that
I would like to include in the page are listings of the actual source code
for the early implementations as well as source code for early historical
applications.

So -- I would very much appreciate if someone could direct me in the
direction of hopefully finding a listing of 360/Lisp circa 1965-1970
preferably in some sort of machine readable form if possible -- although I
would gladly take whatever I could get!

Thanks for any replies.

Regards to All...

Jack

Jack Harper                             Bank Systems 2000, Inc.
e-mail: ·······@bs2000.com              350 Indiana Street, Suite 350
voice:  303-277-1892 fax: 303-277-1785  Golden, Colorado 80401 USA

                 "21st Century Banking Applications"
                Private Label Optical Bank Card Systems
            Visit our Web Page: http://www.bs2000.com/talos

From: Jeff Barnett
Subject: Re: IBM 360/Lisp
In article <························@p35.denver1.dialup.csn.net>, ·······@bs2000.com (Jack Harper) writes:
|> I am building a web page regarding, primarily, the technical history of
|> the early days of Lisp -- 1958 or so -> 1970 or so. One of the things that
|> I would like to include in the page are listings of the actual source code
|> for the early implementations as well as source code for early historical
|> applications.
|>
|> So -- I would very much appreciate if someone could direct me in the
|> direction of hopefully finding a listing of 360/Lisp circa 1965-1970
|> preferably in some sort of machine readable form if possible -- although I
|> would gladly take whatever I could get!

Hi,

Bob Long and I wrote a Lisp 1.5 for the 360 during that time period
while we were at SDC.  That system was eventually used for the SDC
work on the ARPA Speech Understanding Research project and many, many
other things.  It was a full optimizing compiler and was interactive.
The original implementation ran on a specialized ARPA-sponsored OS.
Later, I moved it to VM.  BTW, eval just called the compiler, ran the
code, then let the gc reclaim the memory later.  Unfortunately, no
machine readable listing remains.  (Though you might contact U. of
Waterloo -- they used the system for a while, and who knows ...)
Before doing this Lisp, we talked to the IBM folks at Yorktown H.
to see if our goals were compatible enough to work together.  They
weren't.  So we each did our own Lisp.

Later, Doug Pintar and I did a hack called CRISP -- crunching Lisp for
the 370s under VM.  CRISP had real data representation knowledge (unboxed
stuff went on a different stack than the pointers), full context objects
(essentially, a tree of stack frames was used instead of a stack), and
many of the ideas developed in Lisp2 resurfaced (e.g., a kind of
package mechanism).  A fellow at Princeton, whos name escapes me,
collected listings and implementations of arcane languages.  Poke
around in there CS dept and computer center.  You might get lucky.  I
sent him (whoever he is) either our Lisp or CRISP a million years ago.

Jeff Barnett
From: Jack Harper
<Snip>
> Bob Long and I wrote a Lisp 1.5 for the 360 during that time period
> while we were at SDC.  That system was eventually used for the SDC
> work on the ARPA Speech Understanding Research project and many, many
> other things.  It was a full optimizing compiler and was interactive.
> The original implementation ran on a specialized ARPA-sponsored OS.
> Later, I moved it to VM.  BTW, eval just called the compiler, ran the
> code, then let the gc reclaim the memory later.  Unfortunately, no
> machine readable listing remains.  (Though you might contact U. of
> Waterloo -- they used the system for a while, and who knows ...)
> Before doing this Lisp, we talked to the IBM folks at Yorktown H.
> to see if our goals were compatible enough to work together.  They
> weren't.  So we each did our own Lisp.
>
> Later, Doug Pintar and I did a hack called CRISP -- crunching Lisp for
> the 370s under VM.  CRISP had real data representation knowledge (unboxed
> stuff went on a different stack than the pointers), full context objects
> (essentially, a tree of stack frames was used instead of a stack), and
> many of the ideas developed in Lisp2 resurfaced (e.g., a kind of
> package mechanism).  A fellow at Princeton, whos name escapes me,
> collected listings and implementations of arcane languages.  Poke
> around in there CS dept and computer center.  You might get lucky.  I
> sent him (whoever he is) either our Lisp or CRISP a million years ago.
>
> Jeff Barnett

Thank's for the interesting and informative reply Jeff. I appreciate it
and will trek through the territory you suggest.

Sorry that it has taken about a week for me to reply -- but I have been
out of town.

Regards