From: Benjamin Shults
Subject: xp-code.lisp errors in clisp and gcl
I downloaded the latest (09/02/92) version of xp-code.lisp from merl.com.
I have some pretty printing code which is very stable and
runs fine under Allegro.

I also want to use CLISP and GCL.  When I load xp-code.lisp
into either of these lisps and run my code I get runtime
errors signaled from inside the xp code.

Has anyone gotten pretty printing to work under CLISP or GCL?

The error I get is that -1 is given as the first argument to
nthcdr.

--
Benjamin Shults                 Email:  ·······@math.utexas.edu
Department of Mathematics       Phone:  (512) 471-7711 ext. 208
From: Benjamin Shults
Subject: Re: xp-code.lisp errors in clisp and gcl
Benjamin Shults wrote:
> I downloaded the latest (09/02/92) version of xp-code.lisp from merl.com.
> I have some pretty printing code which is very stable and
> runs fine under Allegro.
>
> I also want to use CLISP and GCL.  When I load xp-code.lisp
> into either of these lisps and run my code I get runtime
> errors signaled from inside the xp code.

This has been solved.  I was using a format string that worked
with Allegro because they extended the ~* directive in an undocumented
yet sensible way so that it could take ~-1* and skip backwards.
The standard way to do this is ~1:*.  xp-code.lisp gives
an error on the former while Allegro understands it.

Let this be a lesson to me.

Benjamin