From: Cyber Surfer
Subject: Re: no more lisp!
In article <··········@ra.nrl.navy.mil>
           ·····@n5160d.nrl.navy.mil "Richard Pitre" writes:

> > Oh!  one interesting thing is that lisp is pretty well encapsulated it's
> > process.  and then those guys who got only C in their computer classes
> > developed C and others developed other Structural languages.  that's meant
> > no more pretty encapsulation.  But now, thing is going back.  We have
> > visical this and visical that.
> >
> > Do you thing this is interesting?
> >

> Try LISP to do an actual project that really matters to you.

I like the way that Microsoft used Common Lisp (let's be specific and
name a dialect!) to write C++ code for them, in the user interface for
an animated user interface, which I think was called Peevey. They used
planning software to go thru all the states that Peevey could be in,
and then generate the C++ code to get Peevey from one state (say, sitting
down) to another state (perhaps standing up and bowing).

That may be a "trivial" app for Lisp, but it's great to see even MS
taking it seriously and finding apps for it. Who knows? We may someday
see multimedia games where the core "engines" are written in C++, but
the game itself is modelled in Lisp and then compiled into state
optimised C++. It should someday be possible to find the planning
software (or other "AI" techniques) embedded directly in the app/game
itself. Just look at the computing power in modern games hardware,
and it's easy to see why MS are looking into this stuff.

I found a page on the ACM web server describing the Peevey app, but
I've misplaced it. It's possible that I found it via a link from the
MS Research website, at <URL:http://www.research.microsoft.com>.
--
<URL:http://www.enrapture.co.uk/eboy/>  E-Boy, a graphic novel
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/pterror/> The  Pavement  Terror!