From: Seth A Tisue
Subject: Re: A Lisp WWW server?
In article <·················@ipvaim.unipv.it>,
Alberto Riva <···@ipvaim.unipv.it> wrote:
>You seem to ask for two different things in the subject line and in
>the message. Using a Lisp program as a CGI script is surely possible,
>but you may suffer from performance problems since you have to start
>up the whole Lisp environment every time.
>
>A better solution is to write the whole HTTP server in Lisp, leave it
>always running and load the functions you need inside it.

These aren't the only two solutions.  For example, on the Macintosh,
you can run a regular HTTP server such as NetPresenz and have it
communicate with an already running Macintosh Common Lisp application
via AppleEvents.  This eliminates the Lisp startup problem, and it
also makes it unnecessary to have a Lisp-based HTTP server (not that
that might not be a good thing -- check out the cl-http package).

I'm sure a similar setup could be used on other operating systems,
--
== Seth Tisue <·······@nwu.edu>       http://www.eecs.nwu.edu/~tisue/