From: Paul Vianna
Subject: CMU CL 17f Problems on Solaris 2.5
We are having serious problems getting CMU CL 17f
running on Solaris 2.5. We downloaded the binaries
from CMU, but when we try to run lisp we get a
"recursive mapping fault". Our machines have
plenty of memory (128 MB RAM), and plenty of
stack space and virtual memory configured with
"ulimit" (We've tried with up to 30 MB stack, and
"unlimited" virtual memory.)

Incidentally, using a smaller Lisp core (without
CLX, etc.) lisp does come up, but crashes when we
try to do anything significant.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Paul Vianna

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: CMU CL 17f Problems on Solaris 2.5
Paul Vianna <·····@tribeca.ios.com> writes:

>We are having serious problems getting CMU CL 17f
>running on Solaris 2.5. We downloaded the binaries
>from CMU, but when we try to run lisp we get a
>"recursive mapping fault". Our machines have
>plenty of memory (128 MB RAM), and plenty of
>stack space and virtual memory configured with
>"ulimit" (We've tried with up to 30 MB stack, and
>"unlimited" virtual memory.)

Is this an Ultrasparc machine?

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@wavehh.hanse.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer
From: Andy Shaw
In article <·····················@wavehh.hanse.de> ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:
   Paul Vianna <·····@tribeca.ios.com> writes:

   >We are having serious problems getting CMU CL 17f
   >running on Solaris 2.5. We downloaded the binaries
   >from CMU, but when we try to run lisp we get a
   >"recursive mapping fault". Our machines have
   >plenty of memory (128 MB RAM), and plenty of
   >stack space and virtual memory configured with
   >"ulimit" (We've tried with up to 30 MB stack, and
   >"unlimited" virtual memory.)

   Is this an Ultrasparc machine?

I'm having the same problem on an Ultrasparc.  Will there be a new
version for Ultrasparcs?

-Andy
From: Paul Vianna
may be related to UltraSparc's)

We are seeing the worst problems on our Ultra's, but lisp is not too stable
on our HyperSparc file server either. The difference is that, while it
crashes immediately on an Axil Ultima 1/K UltraSparc system, it starts up OK
on an Axil 420 HyperSparc machine. But in the latter case, errors like
unbound symbols will crash the system.

I am currently exchanging email with someone who has an idea of what the
problem could be. I'll post more details as they become available.
From: Raymond Toy
Paul Vianna <·····@tribeca.ios.com> writes:

> may be related to UltraSparc's)
>
> We are seeing the worst problems on our Ultra's, but lisp is not too stable
> on our HyperSparc file server either. The difference is that, while it
> crashes immediately on an Axil Ultima 1/K UltraSparc system, it starts up OK
> on an Axil 420 HyperSparc machine. But in the latter case, errors like
> unbound symbols will crash the system.

Odd.  I'm running CMU CL 17f on Solaris 2.5 on a Sun Hypersparc
system.  It runs just fine.  I've not had any crashes except when I do
something stupid and corrupt memory (alien objects or safety at 0).

Ray