From: Pete Grant
Subject: Allegro Hash Table Problem
Allegro CL 4.3 seems to have a problem with large(?) hash tables.
I need to have a table with about 70K entries.  When loading this
table, the first 25K processes OK, then the process slows to a
snail's pace ending up requiring an hour to build the table.

The problem appears to be Franz's implementation of sxhash, as
well as of the hash table itself.  The values returned by sxhash are
limited to the range 0 to 64K; ie., the size of a a 16-bit unsigned
integer.  Obviously, when the number hash table elements approach
the limit, collisions become numerous.  With my particular set of keys,
the situation is worse.  According to the docs, writing my own sxhash
won't help as the hash table implementation itself won't accept a
value larger than 64K.

Before I embark on a project of implementing my own hash table,
does anyone know of a PD code that already provides for larger
tables than those supplied by Franz?

TIA.