From: Rob Blackwell
Subject: OLE 2 in Allegro CL for Windows
Hi,

Has anybody implemented any OLE functionality in Allegro CL for Windows ?

There is an unsupported OLE example with the professional edition, but it doesn't
seem to work.

I'm particularly interested in setting Allegro up as an OLE automation server so
that I can integrate it as part of a Visual Basic application.

I'd like to hear from anybody with any relevant thoughts / ideas / experiences /
code etc - Please email me and I'll summarise anything useful as a future posting.

Thanks,

Rob Blackwell
From: quinch
Subject: Re: OLE 2 in Allegro CL for Windows
In article <·············@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>, Rob Blackwell
<·············@bt-sys.bt.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anybody implemented any OLE functionality in Allegro CL for Windows ?

We've been trying for some time now.

> There is an unsupported OLE example with the professional edition, but it doesn't
> seem to work.

Now why does this not suprise me.

> I'm particularly interested in setting Allegro up as an OLE automation server so
> that I can integrate it as part of a Visual Basic application.

We were trying to do something similar with OLE automation, for use in a
VC++
app and we got nowhere. One approach that we thought of is to write an
automation server in VC++ as a dll and use this to talk to the Allegro app
via DDE or a socket or something. The trouble with this approach is getting
the dll and the server to start each other up correctly without starting
multiple copies.

In the end we gave up, and hacked together a socket based eval server until
we could think of a better way of doing it. Unfortunately, unless Franz can
put proper OLE support into the environment, the 'better way' will probably
mean re-coding our app in C++, which would be a real shame.

> I'd like to hear from anybody with any relevant thoughts / ideas / experiences /
> code etc - Please email me and I'll summarise anything useful as a future posting.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob Blackwell

Good luck!