From: David Lim
Subject: Re: w95: Better Interface Builder Docs/Source
In article <·············@crc.ricoh.com> Jamey Graham writes:
   I'm looking for any sample code for Allegro for Windows 95's Interface
   Builder.  The documentation is *very* limited and there are few examples
   to follow.  Any pointers appreciated... thanx.

I have to agree that there is definitely a major lack of documentation with
Allegro's Interface Builder and Common Graphics library (frameworks?). There
is a tutorial on the Interface Builder in the hardcopy manuals, but there is
no reference manual online or on hardcopy. On the other hand the Common
Graphics calls has an online reference manual but seemingly no tutorial.

It would really really help if there was an overall document of the philosophy
behind the Common Graphics framework. E.g. a class hierarchy diagram? I'm not
even sure if it is a CLOS framework, is it? Or is just a collection of lisp
objects?

Admittedly I'm definitely a newbie, but some sort of document on the
philosophy of things would really help.

So far, all I've wanted to do is put up 7 numbers on a window. The numbers
correspond to a lisp array of numbers. The variables need to be updated by
calling read on a socket every second. And I've struggled to do this:

- Where does initialization take place? I.e. code that needs to run before the
  windows come up? (e.g. to create a socket)
- How do you group a set of widgets (say 7 editable text widgets) together? (So
  that I can move them around on the screen as a unit. So I can reuse them
  elsewhere on other dialogs?)
- How do you call a function every second?

I've done a similar thing in Tcl/Tk and it literally took me less than a day
(including downloading and installing the SpecTcl and Tcl/Tk distributions).
I'm not advocating using Tcl/Tk, but I would have thought that the Lisp
GUI development environment would be orders of magnitude more powerful and
more mature than the Tcl/Tk environment.