From: Robert E Sawyer
Subject: Beginner's Q:  Lisp Output to Printer
As someone wanting to take a first look at Lisp, with a limited budget and
purely personaI "intellectual" (i.e., non-commercial) curiosity about the
language, I have downloaded the freeware for Windows from Allegro, and also
the "On Lisp" code, and CLTL2 text from www.eecs.harvard.edu.

Q:   Where in these resources (or elsewhere) are the basics needed for
device I/O; e.g., how do I send something to my printer? Or access disk
files? I suspect that I simply haven't mastered the vocabulary well enough
to know what to look for, although I've tried. Or do I need code extensions
of some kind?

This is such a ridiculously low-level thing to ask, and I'm sure I'm just
not seeing something in front of my eyes, but would someone please
enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for patience with a "beginner".
From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: Beginner's Q:  Lisp Output to Printer

   From: "Robert E Sawyer" <····@pacbell.net>
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: 31 Jul 1996 21:09:37 GMT

   As someone wanting to take a first look at Lisp, with a limited budget and
   purely personaI "intellectual" (i.e., non-commercial) curiosity about the
   language, I have downloaded the freeware for Windows from Allegro, and also
   the "On Lisp" code, and CLTL2 text from www.eecs.harvard.edu.

   Q:   Where in these resources (or elsewhere) are the basics needed for
   device I/O; e.g., how do I send something to my printer? Or access disk
   files? I suspect that I simply haven't mastered the vocabulary well enough
   to know what to look for, although I've tried. Or do I need code extensions
   of some kind?

Printing should be done by the following sequnce of actions: open a
menu, select print :)

Opening and closing files is supported by the 'open', 'close', and
'with-open-file' constructs.  Check the "Common Lisp, the Language,
2nd edition" (on line at the AI.Repository at CMU) and you will find
all the above.
--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano
International Computer Science Institute	| ·······@icsi.berkeley.edu