From: Bruce Tobin
Subject: Summary of responses to Lisp competition proposal
Awhile back I posted an article suggesting that it would be nice if the
Lisp community fielded a team in one of this year's Developer's
Competitions. I offered to put up $200 as seed money toward this goal (I
estimate the total cost of fielding a 2-person team, excluding
the value of the team members' time, at $2000).  I asked interested people
to write me and promised to post a summary of responses.

For those who didn't read the original post, the Developer's Competition
is a contest sponsored each year by Droege Computing Services, in which
teams of programmers compete to build a business application to spec in a
small amount of time. This year Droege has teamed with DCI to sponsor
several competitions attached to such DCI events as Database and
Client/Server World (there are two of these, one held in Chicago and one
in, I think, Boston). I wouldn't expect Lisp to win, but I think a modest
effort by several people could result in a toolset good enough that a
talented team using the toolset could place in the top ten, and maybe even
better than that.

I was gratified to find that there are a great many people who
would like to see a Lisp team in a contest of this type. Many people have
offered encouragement, and some have also offered time and money.  To all,
thanks.  I've decided to start a mailing list devoted to this topic, and I
will post the details on this shortly.  In the meantime interested parties
should send a message to ······@iwaynet.net.  Thanks again.

P.S.: We still need a treasurer.  Perhaps someone associated with a
university, or with one of the Lisp vendors?

Bruce Tobin
Claremont Technology Group
111 W Liberty St
Columbus, OH 43215
(614)628-4945
······@iwaynet.net

/* The opinions expressed in this post are my own.  They are not
necessarily shared by my employer or any of my clients. */