From: Joe Ammann
Subject: HarlequinLisp <-> Oracle connection
Hi all,

we are trying to port a CLOS application from a TI Explorer
environment to HarlequinLisp on RS/6000 (AIX). On the Explorer, we
didn't have the need to store data on the system itsself, we retrieved
it from an IMS database on an IBM host.

Because the application focus changes, we will have to use an Oracle
Database on the AIX system to store the CLOS objects. It will be
impossible to hold all objects in memory, so the relational-to-object
converter must handle the automatic read of the needed objects.

I have worked with products connecting relational databases to object
systems in Smalltalk and C++ environments, and I have also worked with
OO databases. Unfortunately I know of no solution when it comes to
accessing relational databases from Lisp environments.

Do such products exist, and if yes, what is your experience in using
it? The environment I described above (Harlequin, AIX, Oracle) is not
yet totally fixed. I would be happy to hear also from other solutions,
the only real fixpoint is CLOS.

Thanks in advance

Joe Ammann

Joe Ammann, SYBS-AMJ        | Tel: +41 1 236 5897
Union Bank of Switzerland   | Fax: +41 1 236 8120
CH - 8021 Zuerich           | E-Mail: ··········@ubs.ch

All the opinions above are mine, mine, mine ....

From: Jason Trenouth
Subject: Re: HarlequinLisp <-> Oracle connection
On 29 Jul 1996 18:22:37 +0200, ······@wsbalok.flur.zuerich.ubs.ch (Joe
Ammann) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we are trying to port a CLOS application from a TI Explorer
> environment to HarlequinLisp on RS/6000 (AIX). On the Explorer, we
> didn't have the need to store data on the system itsself, we retrieved
> it from an IMS database on an IBM host.
>
> Because the application focus changes, we will have to use an Oracle
> Database on the AIX system to store the CLOS objects. It will be
> impossible to hold all objects in memory, so the relational-to-object
> converter must handle the automatic read of the needed objects.
>
> I have worked with products connecting relational databases to object
> systems in Smalltalk and C++ environments, and I have also worked with
> OO databases. Unfortunately I know of no solution when it comes to
> accessing relational databases from Lisp environments.
>
> Do such products exist, and if yes, what is your experience in using
> it? The environment I described above (Harlequin, AIX, Oracle) is not
> yet totally fixed. I would be happy to hear also from other solutions,
> the only real fixpoint is CLOS.

Harlequin's LispWorks comes bundled with a CLOS/SQL interface for
exactly this purpose. Check with ···············@harlequin.com about
support for your platform combination.

__Jason