From: Erich Champion
Subject: Help needed building common lisp
Hi,

I have a NeXT computer that's been upgraded with a 25MHz 68040, and is
running NeXTSTEP 3.0. I found the NeXTSTEP 1.0a optical disk that must have
originally come with the machine, and have been trying to get the version
of Allegro Common Lisp off of the optical drive to work under NeXTSTEP 3.0.

I copied the /usr/cl directory tree from the optical disk onto my hard
drive and read the release notes. As written in the lisp release notes,
from the /usr/cl/build directory, I ran the following command:

sh config

I answered the questions that the config script asked, but when the build
process actually started, I received the following error:

/bin/ld: static2c cputype (3) does not match cputype (6) of objects files
previously loaded.
/bin/ld: Can't locate file for: -ldsp_s

From the message, I'm guessing that the cl sources are set up for a 68030
processor, and the error results from the fact that I'm running on a 68040.
Is this the case? Can I build common lisp so that I can use it on my 68040
under NeXTSTEP 3.0?

Thanks in advance for any help that I may be about to receive.

Erich Champion
········@adobe.com
From: Dave Seaman
Subject: Re: Help needed building common lisp
In article <·············@130.248.231.47>,
Erich Champion <········@adobe.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a NeXT computer that's been upgraded with a 25MHz 68040, and is
>running NeXTSTEP 3.0. I found the NeXTSTEP 1.0a optical disk that must have
>originally come with the machine, and have been trying to get the version
>of Allegro Common Lisp off of the optical drive to work under NeXTSTEP 3.0.

That version of Allegro Common Lisp does not work with a 68040.  I once
ran into the same problem long ago.  An application that I had been
running in ACL under NextSTEP 1.0a no longer worked when my processor
was upgraded to a 68040, and I learned from reading one of the NeXT
newsgroups that the program was incompatible with the 68040.

I think I also upgraded to NextSTEP 2.0 about that same time, but it
was definitely a processor incompatibility, not the OS.  We had some
other NeXT machines around that were running NextSTEP 2.0 on 68030's,
and ACL still worked on those.  No upgrade was available from Allegro
at that time.  My solution back then was to switch to akcl (a
forerunner of Gnu Common Lisp (gcl)).

I no longer have access to a NeXT machine (traded it in on a SPARC 5
running Solaris), and therefore I don't keep up with NeXT news
anymore.  Someone in the NeXT newsgroups (possibly
comp.sys.next.programmer) may be able to give you more current
information on Allegro Common Lisp for the NeXT.

--
Dave Seaman			·······@purdue.edu
      ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++