From: Rob Blackwell
Subject: OLE support in Allegro CL for Windows
Some time ago I posted a question about using OLE in Allegro CL for
Windows.
 I promised I would summarise any replies .....

The official word from Jim Veitch at Franz is

>We are actively working on the OLE/OCX stuff now.  We wanted to do it
last
>year for the 3.0 release but realized it was a lot of work and ended up
>backing off. The OLE work is slated to be in the next big major release:
>Allegro CL 5.0 which we are targeting for early next year.  This release
is
>actually a merge of the UNIX kernel/compiler and the PC GUI, so it'll be
>cross platform with UNIX as well (at least the GUI will, I'm not sure
about
>OLE/OCX, which probably doesn't matter too much anyway on UNIX).  We
realize
>we are behind the curve in getting OLE/OCX integration and that it is
>absolutely critical to staying competitive in the market, so we have a
very
>strong internal commitment to get it done.

>Note that we may do another minor release of Allegro CL for Windows prior
>5.0 and unfortunately the OLE/OCX work will not be in that.

There are a number of people who have looked at rolling their own OLE
interface,
including us and Tim Bradshaw at AIAI. The approach would probably be to
build
a DLL which was an OLE server and communicate from LISP to the DLL via the
Foreign Function Interface.

Most people's thoughts seem to be that this would be a lot of work and get

pretty involved !

Unfortunately this really only leaves DDE as a practical alternative :-(

Regards,

Rob Blackwell

From: Benjamin Shults
Subject: ACL interface (was: OLE support in Allegro CL for Windows)
Rob Blackwell wrote:
> The official word from Jim Veitch at Franz is
>
> >  This release is
> >actually a merge of the UNIX kernel/compiler and the PC GUI, so it'll be
> >cross platform with UNIX as well (at least the GUI will, I'm not sure
> about
> >OLE/OCX, which probably doesn't matter too much anyway on UNIX).

Oh, no!  The one thing that made it so difficult for me to use ACL Win 3
was the Windows(TM) interface.  I could not run it in an emacs window!
Will ILISP or the FI interface still work in ACL 5 for Unix?  If not,
then those of us who have written Emacs interfaces to our Lisp programs
will have to look elsewhere or write a new interface.

--
Benjamin Shults                 Email:  ·······@math.utexas.edu
Department of Mathematics       Phone:  (512) 471-7711 ext. 208
From: Jim Veitch
Subject: Re: ACL interface
In article <·················@math.utexas.edu> Benjamin Shults <·······@math.utexas.edu> writes:

   Oh, no!  The one thing that made it so difficult for me to use ACL Win 3
   was the Windows(TM) interface.  I could not run it in an emacs window!
   Will ILISP or the FI interface still work in ACL 5 for Unix?  If not,
   then those of us who have written Emacs interfaces to our Lisp programs
   will have to look elsewhere or write a new interface.

Our current intention is to maintain the Emacs/Lisp fi interface under
future UNIX releases, including 5.0, precisely for all the current
UNIX users who are happy with the current interface.  The ILISP
interface should continue to work as well.

Jim Veitch.
From: Marty Hall
In article <················@vapor> ···@franz.com (Jim Veitch) writes:

>The ILISP interface should continue to work as well.

However, ILISP won't work with Composer, and you have to roll your own
interface to clman. (But many people don't use Composer, and the
second task is straightforward).

					- Marty

Lisp Resources: <http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html>
From: Marty Hall
In article <···············@salmon.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
·······@salmon.icsi.berkeley.edu (Marco Antoniotti) writes:

>As I said in my previous posting the ILISP interface to ACL works
>"pretty well" but it can get into problems with ACL multiprocessing
>(at least according to my list of outstanding bugs and to the postings
>to the ILISP mailing list.)  We do not have direct access to the
>latest ACL (I suppose I could walk over to your office :) ) so we would
>really appreciate if somebody at Franz could look into this.

Steve Haflich is the author of most (all?) of the FI interface, so is
probably the person for you to talk to at Franz. It *is* just a short
walk for you over there :-).

From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: Benjamin Shults <·······@math.utexas.edu>
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 08:40:58 -0500

   Rob Blackwell wrote:
   > The official word from Jim Veitch at Franz is
   >
   > >  This release is
   > >actually a merge of the UNIX kernel/compiler and the PC GUI, so it'll be
   > >cross platform with UNIX as well (at least the GUI will, I'm not sure
   > about
   > >OLE/OCX, which probably doesn't matter too much anyway on UNIX).

   Oh, no!  The one thing that made it so difficult for me to use ACL Win 3
   was the Windows(TM) interface.  I could not run it in an emacs window!
   Will ILISP or the FI interface still work in ACL 5 for Unix?  If not,
   then those of us who have written Emacs interfaces to our Lisp programs
   will have to look elsewhere or write a new interface.

I am putting on my "ILISP Maintainer" hat and declare that ILISP will
work under ACL 5 for UN*X (or any other platform) as long as people
will contribute the necessary changes.

ILISP works "pretty nicely" under ACL right now.  One of the
outstanding problems (which the maintainers cannot fix, since we do
not have direct access to ACL) concerns the interaction of comint and
ACL multiprocessing.  Any help will be appreciated.

Two final notes:

1 - A bug fix release of ILISP will be out "Real Soon".  We are just
    tracking down some changes that the Xemacs made and migrating them in
    the release.

2 - I have a question for GCL users:  does the latest release have DEFPACKAGE?

Cheers
--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano
International Computer Science Institute	| ·······@icsi.berkeley.edu
From: Cyber Surfer
Subject: Re: OLE support in Allegro CL for Windows
In article <··························@tb-lightning.info.bt.co.uk>
           ·············@bt-sys.bt.co.uk "Rob Blackwell" writes:

> >Note that we may do another minor release of Allegro CL for Windows prior
> >5.0 and unfortunately the OLE/OCX work will not be in that.

Err, 4.0? ;-) That would be logical.

Many thanks for the info.
--
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/cybes/> You can never browse enough
I have it at last: 'And She Closed Her Eyes', by Stina Nordenstam
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ····@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:52:01 GMT

   In article <················@vapor> ···@franz.com (Jim Veitch) writes:

   >The ILISP interface should continue to work as well.

   However, ILISP won't work with Composer, and you have to roll your own
   interface to clman. (But many people don't use Composer, and the
   second task is straightforward).

The interface to clman may be not so hot anymore given
1 - the Net resources (the online CLtL2 and ANSI Standard at Harlequin)
2 - the (almost complete - it might be a copy of dpANS) ANSI standard
    in info format available with the GCL distribution.

Cheers

Marco