From: Trevor Cooper
Subject: Re: How many CS majors does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
····@ssrl.slac.stanford.edu wrote:

> All this ululation about what a terrible language Matlab is reminds me
> of a joke about how many CS majors it takes to screw in a lightbulb.
> The answer, of course is 11, 1 to do it and 10 to stand around saying
> "I could do that".
> Matlab is a very useful tool which is commercially available and
> extremely well supported.  It's target market is decidedly not CS
> majors.  If you think you can do better, do so.

Sean, you forgot to cross-post to the comp.lang.* groups. I don't think very many
of the people perpetuating the 'Re: 'Open' languages: e.g., MATLAB' thread
actually read comp.soft-sys.matlab.

We may simply be seeing a discussion going on in comp.lang.* that the perps are
passing along to us because they are too lazy to remove comp.soft-sys.matlab from
the Newsgroups line of their replies.

If I was intersted in this discussion I would read comp.lang.misc. Please stop
cross posting this thread to comp.soft-sys.matlab.

Thank you,

Trevor Cooper

--
            Trevor Cooper, ··············@ucsd.edu
Marine Life Research Group, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD
From: Grant Edwards
: All this ululation about what a terrible language Matlab is reminds me of a
: joke about how many CS majors it takes to screw in a lightbulb. The answer,
: of course is 11, 1 to do it and 10 to stand around saying "I could do
: that".

Wrong.

The answer is "None -- that's a hardware problem."

The "I can do that" punchline works well for musicians, IMHO.

--
Grant Edwards        | Microsoft isn't the   | Yow!  Did I say I was a
Rosemount Inc.       | answer. Microsoft     | sardine?  Or a bus???