From: Sunil Mishra
Subject: Need help with readtable
Hi all,

I'm trying to accomplish a rather involved parsing task, parsing HTML and
perhaps a bit of SGML, and the best way to do this appears to be to modify
the readtable as and when needed. To do this effectively, I might need to
do a couple of things...

1. Construct a definition for a macro character that is somewhat similar to
the action of #\), which would be easiest to accomplish if I knew the
definition of the function for #\)

2. Make a read macro more than two characters in length, for tasks such as
reading comment opening and closing sequences, <!-- and -->

Can anyone offer any advice on either of these matters?

Sunil
From: Kelly Murray
Subject: Re: Need help with readtable
In article <···············@Etna.ai.mit.edu>, ·······@Etna.ai.mit.edu (Sunil Mishra) writes:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to accomplish a rather involved parsing task, parsing HTML and
>> perhaps a bit of SGML, and the best way to do this appears to be to modify
>> the readtable as and when needed. To do this effectively, I might need to
>> do a couple of things...

The Lisp reader is designed to read lisp.  Just write a HTML parser,
it's really not that hard.
It may be overkill and bloated, but you might get the source code
for the lisp reader and modify it to do HTML.
Get source from CLISP, CMU, KCL, GCL or any publically
available implementation.

-Kelly Murray   ···@franz.com