From: ··········@usa.net
Subject: Q: Scheme to Java compiler?
I looked at Scheme->C a while back, but did not really use it.  Since
Java as built in GC, it must be much easier to compile either Scheme
or LISP to Java, rather than C, right?

Is anyone working on such a project?

Thanks in advance for any info!

-- Mark

Mark Watson, author and computer scientist.       ··········@usa.net
WWW home page: http://users.aol.com/MarkWatson/index.htm (with Java)
From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: Q: Scheme to Java compiler?
In article <··········@news.snfc21.pacbell.net>,  <··········@usa.net> wrote:
>Is anyone working on [compiling Scheme to Java]

Yes, assuming you mean Java bytecode rather than Java source.
Cygnus (well, I) am doing a Scheme system, based of
Alexander Milowski's Kawa interpreter.  I am in the process of
augmenting/replacing the interpreter with a compiler.

A snapshot will be announced when it is stable.
For a (slightly out-of-date) design document see
http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner/scm2java.html.
--
	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Support     ·······@cygnus.com