From: [Invalid-From-Line]
Subject: Problem with GCL 2.2 and CLX on AIX 3.2.5
Hi,

I'm trying to run CLX with GCL 2.2 on AIX 3.2.5. Everything compiles fine,
but when i try to run the example menu.l the following message appears:

>(load "demo/menu.l")
Finished loading demo/menu.l

>(xlib::just-say-lisp "mselrt3:0.0")

Error: NIL is not of type STREAM.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY.
Broken at XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY.  Type :H for Help.
>>:Q

Top level.

Would anyone be able to help? Thanks in advance.

Andre Luiz Tietbohl Ramos
PhD Candidate
Dept. of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Virginia Tech

From: Jens Lautenbacher
Subject: Re: Problem with GCL 2.2 and CLX on AIX 3.2.5
I see exactly the same behaviour on Linux 1.3.37, gcc 2.7.2, gcl 2.2.
It breaks with the same error in "make try" (I suppose it would do the
same for the  original poster)

--
       __/__/ __/__/__/ __/            Jens Lautenbacher
         __/    __/    __/
From: Mike McDonald
In article <··········@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, ········@mselrt3.ise.vt.edu () writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to run CLX with GCL 2.2 on AIX 3.2.5. Everything compiles fine,
>but when i try to run the example menu.l the following message appears:
>
>>(load "demo/menu.l")
>Finished loading demo/menu.l
>
>>(xlib::just-say-lisp "mselrt3:0.0")
>
>Error: NIL is not of type STREAM.
>Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
>Error signalled by XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY.
>Broken at XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY.  Type :H for Help.
>>>:Q
>
>Top level.
>>

>Would anyone be able to help? Thanks in advance.
>

>Andre Luiz Tietbohl Ramos
>PhD Candidate
>Dept. of Industrial and Systems Engineering
>Virginia Tech

  xlib:open-display takes the hostname as the first arg, not an X host:display
string. Try just the hostname and see if that works. And yes, xlib:open-display
should have been updated to take a standard host:display.screen string.
Unfortunately, it's probably too late now.
--

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@engr.sgi.com