From: Paul Graham
Subject: new intro to Lisp
I'd just like to let this newsgroup know that _ANSI Common Lisp_
(Prentice Hall, 1996) is out, and available in stores.  It is the
first new introduction to Lisp in five years or so, and has a number
of new things in it that you may find useful:

- It pays special attention to topics that have grown more important
  in the last few years, like macros, optimization, object-oriented
  programming, and generating HTML.

- It has a 100-page reference manual for ANSI CL that most people
  find sufficient for everyday use.

- It explains briefly and precisely what Lisp has that other
  languages don't, and shows (by example) what new things you can do
  as a result.

For more information, see http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/onlisp/acl

Thanks, -- Paul Graham
From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: Re: new intro to Lisp
In article <··········@necco.harvard.edu> ··@hershey.harvard.edu (Paul Graham) writes:
>I'd just like to let this newsgroup know that _ANSI Common Lisp_
>(Prentice Hall, 1996) is out, and available in stores.

Indeed, I have seen it in Edinburgh.  But, if the situation is
anything like what it was for _On Lisp_, further copies will not
arrive.  Let's hope the publisher et al do better this time.

-- jeff