From: Jon Spragg
Subject: GCL Common Lisp for Linux
Hi,

I have a problem with compiling GCL Common Lisp
Version 1.0 under Red Hat Commercial Linux 2.1.

When I attempt to load a compiled file, say foo.o,
I get the error:

Error:  The string table of the file did not have any length.
Fast links are on:  do ...  etc etc.

The gcc compiler I am using is version 2.7.0.

I have figured out that the arguments I am passing
to the compiler when I invoke (compile-file "foo.lsp")
are:

gcc -f writable-string -DVol=volatile -I/root/gcl-1.0/o -O -c -I . NIL -W

if this means anything to anybody.

I have no problem compiling the foo.lsp file into the file foo.o, I
only get a problem when I try to load the compiled file.

Any help would be appreciated.  I can be contacted by email,
see below.

Jon Spragg
* Email: ·······@cs.cmu.edu  J.E. Spragg                *
* Phone: 1-412-268-1376      The Robotics Institute     *
*                            Intelligent Coordination   *
*                            and Logistics Laboratory   *
*                            DH3300                     *
*                            Carnegie Mellon University *
*                            5000 Forbes Avenue         *
*                            Pittsburgh                 *
*                            Pennsylvania, 15213-3890   *
*                            USA                        *