From: Bill Quinn
Subject: graphics in lisp
hi
	i am working on a shape recognition project in common lisp and
need to display a number of shapes...does anyone know where i might get
functions that carry out simple graphic routines?.....
				thanks in advance
                                Billy

From: Ramachandran Lakshmanan
Subject: Re: graphics in lisp
In article <··········@news.rtc-galway.ie>, ·······@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_DOMAIN_FILE (Bill Quinn) writes:
>hi
>	i am working on a shape recognition project in common lisp and
>need to display a number of shapes...does anyone know where i might get
>functions that carry out simple graphic routines?.....
>				thanks in advance
>                                Billy

I would highly recommend a graphics language called Garnet.  It was
developed at CMU and runs in most LISPs (although Lucid, CMUCL and
Allegro, I think, have some features that won't run in the others as
they require multiple processes).  The language is built on top of a
knowledge representation language called KR, which differs somewhat from
other object oriented languages, but shouldn't be too difficult to learn
if you've used LISP for any length of time.

As an example of how quickly one can get things done in Garnet, I
developed my first graphic interface in about two weeks.  It required
some reimplementation as I was learning as I went along, but given that
I'd never developed a graphic interface before, I was amazed at how
short the teething period was.  Especially since the head of our Centre
tried to dissuade me from doing it in the first place, saying it was too
ambitious an undertaking for a non-computer-scientist.

Unfortunately, Garnet is no longer actively supported, as the group are
now involved in developing Amulet, which is a C++ version that will have
additional capabilities.  However, it is now in version 3.0 and we have
found it VERY stable and relatively (if not quite completely) bug-free.

The project's home page is at:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/garnet/garnet-home.html

Hope this helps, and do let me know if you like and use the language.

Rama