From: ······@orion.alaska.edu
Subject: Combine Lisp and ASM.
  I have been for some time thinking about the purposes Lisp and decided to
combine it whith assembler. To that end I have decided to create a new language
I will call Tao. Here is what the acronym stands for:

 T. = Turing
 A. = Assembly
 O. = Operator

  The point of this language will be that Lisp-like operators will be the
psuedo-operators and that assembly operators will be allowed a list structure.
For instance take A, B, C ... to be assembly operators. To perform them you can
take them into a list like so:

 (A, B, C),

  This would later allow for the possibility of consistent self-modifying code
with the inclusion of a certain number of lisp operators now re-writen as
assembly operators.

  Please Tell Me What You Think.

  1) Do you think from what you know that you would like Tao?

  2) Has there been other computer languages that you know of that
     allready have everything that Tao has to your knowledge?

  3) What would you like to see in Tao?

  Thank You.

  -Nate

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Combine Lisp and ASM.
In article <·················@orion.alaska.edu>,
 <······@orion.alaska.edu> wrote:
>  I have been for some time thinking about the purposes Lisp and decided to
>combine it whith assembler.

Maclisp had a feature called LAP: Lisp Assembly Program.  There was a
special operator LAP whose parameters were lists representing assembler
commands, e.g. something like:

(LAP (LOAD R0 1)
     (LOAD R1 2)
     (ADD R0 R1 R2)
     (STORE R2 3))

and the specified code would be embedded in the function.  It's analogous
to the asm() "function" that many C compilers have.

The nice thing about doing this in Lisp is that you can have macros that
expand into LAP calls.
--
Barry Margolin
BBN PlaNET Corporation, Cambridge, MA
From: Will Ware
······@orion.alaska.edu wrote:

:   I have been for some time thinking about the purposes Lisp and decided to
: combine it whith assembler. To that end I have decided to create a new language
: I will call Tao...

You might want to look at the mechanism in GCL that allows Lisp to call
C functions. Specifically, look up the documentation for "compile-file",
"defentry", and "clines".
Will Ware <·····@world.std.com> web <http://world.std.com/~wware/>
PGP fingerprint   45A8 722C D149 10CC   F0CF 48FB 93BF 7289