From: Bernard S. Greenberg
Subject: 1977 Multics Lisp Compiler paper on WWW
I have consigned my occasionally-referenced, heretefore unpublished but
widely distributed 1977 paper, "The Multics Maclisp Compiler -- the
Basic Hackery, a Tutorial" to the Multics Web Site
(http://www.best.com/multics.html), in new HTML, making it publicly
available for the first time:

This -samizdat- production expounds in more than sufficient detail to
be of value for future designs the data-flow analysis (value
management), stack strategy, and all other aspects of the Multics
compiler (largely the work of Daves Moon and Reed).  Variants of the
same techniques were used in the ITS Maclisp compiler (COMPLR/NCOMPLR)
to which the Multics compiler owes much.  These compilers are compared
in a 1988 appendix, and the origin of the phrase "rooted in NCOMPLR"
as a certification of madness is recounted in another.

"Maclisp" refers to a dialect of Lisp then in use at the MIT AI lab
and Project MAC (now the Laboratory for Computer science) as well as
on Multics, not any hypothetical melocybernetic parentheturge.

The language in this unrefereed paper is quite dated and ostentatious
-- I was young -- I have not changed it in any way.  Tom Van Vleck has
been of immense help in cleaning up the HTML and integrating into his
Multics Site.

Bernie
···@basistech.com

From: Bernard S. Greenberg
Subject: Re: 1977 Multics Lisp Compiler paper on WWW
Bernard S. Greenberg (···@basistech.com) wrote:

: Basic Hackery, a Tutorial" to the Multics Web Site
: (http://www.best.com/multics.html), in new HTML, making it publicly

Sorry, the site is at
 (http://www.best.com/~thvv/multics.html)

The pathname given for the paper (lcp.html in the same directory)
remains correct.

Sorry
Bernie
···@basistech.com
From: Henry Baker

****** Should be ---------------------lcp.html

--
www/ftp directory:
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/home.html
From: Bernard S. Greenberg
Henry Baker (······@netcom.com) wrote:
: In article <··········@narita.basistech.com>, ···@basistech.com (Bernard
: S. Greenberg) wrote:

: >    URL:   http://www.best.com/~thvv/lcp.htm

Hi, Henry. Long time no hear.  Quite right. That's 2 out of 2 URL's
given wrong, the only part of the message which is truly important
... my only excuse is that lcp.htm is the pathname it was born as on
my local system, but sigh, thanks.

Bernie