From: Dan Janowski
Subject: CMU Lisp on Linux
Is there a port or Config and linux_os.[ch] files to
get CMU Lisp to compile for Linux?

Dan

--

····@netcom.com

Dan Janowski
New York, NY

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: CMU Lisp on Linux
····@port.net (Dan Janowski) writes:

>Is there a port or Config and linux_os.[ch] files to
>get CMU Lisp to compile for Linux?

Yes, but...

they're not of much use. CMU CL is a complete system with it's own
compiler (to native machine code) and it's own loader. Recompiling the
startup code (that is what you can do with the above files) is the
least of the problems.

Linux/Intel port but is quite inactive in the moment.

··@mv.mv.com (Paul Werkowski) did a port to FreeBSD based on some
material collected by the above which is in Beta. See
 http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp/index.html
for details. Last I looked (before Beta), it ran, but had GC problems
and couldn't execute long programs. The performance numbers I got from
my Pentium 90 scale to those of my workstations as the larger tests of
SPECint (gcc, compress) do.

This FreeBSD binary runs on NetBSD/i386 without changes. It should be
doable to compile the system for Linux (but not *on* Linux, you have
to crosscompile from a working system). One problem is to get the idea
how to recompile the CMUCL system in general. I'm preparing a document
for that.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@wavehh.hanse.de>  -  Fax +49 40 522 85 36
From: Paul F. Werkowski
In article <···············@lox.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> ·······@lox.icsi.berkeley.edu (Marco Antoniotti) writes:

    Marco> This document would be a *major* help toward a greater
    Marco> availability of CMUCL.  Thank you (or is it too early? :) )

    Marco> Also, the CMUCL-on-Intel page mentioned above explicitely
    Marco> says that work is needed for the GC.  Maybe the Dylan group
    Marco> at CMU will have some work "trickle back" to the CMUCL
    Marco> environment while preparing the WNT version of Dylan. (or
    Marco> is it too much of a provocation? :) ).

Actually the new GC code is 99.9% complete. I will make a new
release of CMUCL for FreeBSD as soon as I find that last little bug
causing some amnesia.
--------------
Paul Werkowski				ANSI Common Lisp on Intel?
··@snoopy.mv.com			http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: Mon, 19 Feb 96 08:17:38 GMT

   ····@port.net (Dan Janowski) writes:

   >Is there a port or Config and linux_os.[ch] files to
   >get CMU Lisp to compile for Linux?

   Yes, but...

   they're not of much use. CMU CL is a complete system with it's own
   compiler (to native machine code) and it's own loader. Recompiling the
   startup code (that is what you can do with the above files) is the
   least of the problems.

   Linux/Intel port but is quite inactive in the moment.

   ··@mv.mv.com (Paul Werkowski) did a port to FreeBSD based on some
   material collected by the above which is in Beta. See
    http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp/index.html
   for details. Last I looked (before Beta), it ran, but had GC problems
   and couldn't execute long programs. The performance numbers I got from
   my Pentium 90 scale to those of my workstations as the larger tests of
   SPECint (gcc, compress) do.

   This FreeBSD binary runs on NetBSD/i386 without changes. It should be
   doable to compile the system for Linux (but not *on* Linux, you have
   to crosscompile from a working system). One problem is to get the idea
   how to recompile the CMUCL system in general. I'm preparing a document
   for that.

This document would be a *major* help toward a greater availability of
CMUCL.  Thank you (or is it too early? :) )

Also, the CMUCL-on-Intel page mentioned above explicitely says that
work is needed for the GC.  Maybe the Dylan group at CMU will have
some work "trickle back" to the CMUCL environment while preparing the
WNT version of Dylan. (or is it too much of a provocation? :) ).

Cheers
--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano
International Computer Science Institute	| ·······@icsi.berkeley.edu
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ··@snoopy.mv.com (Paul F. Werkowski)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 20:32:09 GMT

   In article <···············@lox.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> ·······@lox.icsi.berkeley.edu (Marco Antoniotti) writes:

       Marco> This document would be a *major* help toward a greater
       Marco> availability of CMUCL.  Thank you (or is it too early? :) )

       Marco> Also, the CMUCL-on-Intel page mentioned above explicitely
       Marco> says that work is needed for the GC.  Maybe the Dylan group
       Marco> at CMU will have some work "trickle back" to the CMUCL
       Marco> environment while preparing the WNT version of Dylan. (or
       Marco> is it too much of a provocation? :) ).

   Actually the new GC code is 99.9% complete. I will make a new
   release of CMUCL for FreeBSD as soon as I find that last little bug
   causing some amnesia.

This is a very good piece of news...and it comes a day after I got my
hands on a PC with FreeBSD on it!  :)

Cheers