From: C W Fairclough
Subject: Profiler
Does anyone know where I can get a lisp macro that will time how long it takes
for a function to be executed in a lisp program.

Chris.

From: Mark McConnell
Subject: Re: Profiler
······@scs.leeds.ac.uk (C W Fairclough) wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can get a lisp macro that will time how long it takes
>for a function to be executed in a lisp program.

returns; but as a side effect, it prints timing data and other information.
The form (room), inserted at any point in your code, prints out
information about space usage; (room t) gives more info, and (room nil)
gives less.

You can get a more complete package of profiling tools that
works with any Common Lisp system.  It checks what percent of the time
is spent in given sub-functions of your function, etc.  I remember
getting these tools from a site listed in the Lisp FAQ.
From: David B. Lamkins
In article <······················@leeds.ac.uk>, ······@scs.leeds.ac.uk (C
W Fairclough) wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can get a lisp macro that will time how long it takes
> for a function to be executed in a lisp program.

If you're looking for the time it takes the top-level form to execute, and
you're using Common Lisp, then (time <form>) will do.  If you want to get
all the called functions' times as well, that's implementation dependent;
consult the manual.

--
Dave
CPU Cycles: Use them now or lose them forever...
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ········@teleport.com (David B. Lamkins)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 19:16:32 -0800

   W Fairclough) wrote:

   > Does anyone know where I can get a lisp macro that will time how long it takes
   > for a function to be executed in a lisp program.

   If you're looking for the time it takes the top-level form to execute, and
   you're using Common Lisp, then (time <form>) will do.  If you want to get
   all the called functions' times as well, that's implementation dependent;
   consult the manual.

There is also a 'not-so-implementation-dependent' package in the
AI.Repository.  If my memory has not been gc'ed its name should be
'metering'.

Happy Lisping
--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano